You have one hour only, who would you pick for a teacher?

I was wondering the other day if I could get a guitar lesson from anyone in the world but it is only
one hour long, who would I pick…

How about you guys? you have your dream teacher for one hour only…Go!

3 Likes

Andres Segovia
accordingtorulesthispostmusthaveatleast20characters

Vinnie Moore!

But only after he spent a day with Troy to catch up on the CTC terminology.

Also I would probably spend the hour crying because I am getting only one hour.

3 Likes

Joe Stump!

I’d get him to show me the awesome Shred Odyssey 2000.

2 Likes

Alex Hutchings. A perfect match of technique and musicality.

Just signed up for a lesson from Rick Graham so we will see how it is!

4 Likes

I would definitely like to see what you get from this. Especially since I am subscriber of his channel.

good choice, too bad he is no longer with us.

I studied with a classical guitar teacher who had himself studied with Segovia, as well as received a scholarship to study with Christopher Parkening. From what he told me, lessons with the old man were some of the most difficult of his life. I got the impression that they weren’t enjoyable experiences, either. He was a notorious taskmaster and not patient with his students at all.

Personally, I’d like to have my first teacher available again. He got out of teaching a year or so after I started with him and felt like I missed out a lot after he gave it up. I don’t think I was ever that focused again.

That being said, I’d say Joe Satriani most definitely.

The thing about teachers, just like coaches, the ones whose abilities came naturally rarely if ever make good instructors. The great teachers and coaches are not the naturally gifted individuals at all, but those who had to fight and struggle to understand and develop their craft.

7 Likes

I think you are onto something there. That is the not the first time i’ve heard this.

1 Like

Yep, seems like mr.Andres Segovia was a harsh, authoritative, despotic, may be snobbish. Thats the teacher I need.

1 Like

I’m not going to say that I’ve spent too much time on here, but I 100% read that as “Christopher Pickslanting” and thought “well, he ought to know”.

3 Likes

Paul Gilbert. (and I did, beyond one hour, 4 years and counting - he taught me to play funk, which I could never get as predominately metal player)

2 Likes

I reckon I’d pick Guthrie Govan. He can play virtually everything

2 Likes

care to tell us how that came about?? don’t know too many people who have ever had a lesson with Mr.Gilbert!

Regardless of whether @StickyFingers is alluding to the site below, you may be happy to learn it exists (haven’t tried it myself):

http://artistworks.com/guitar-lessons-paul-gilbert

I had a couple of private lessons with him when he did his clinics, then he started teaching via site mentioned above. This is the best guitar resource online (followed closely by CtC) you can get.

I think the format he uses right now (lessons + video critics) is by far the best, even better than in person as he can focus and analyze what you are doing better via watching the video.

A fair warning - Paul’s teaching is not about shred and you will be starting from strumming (funny how many people can’t do it). If you don’t have a good vibrato and sense of time, he will keep bugging you about it. You may ask him about pick-slanting for hilarious response (spoiler warning: he slants as he likes and how feels like it at any given moment) ;). I have seen a couple of “shredders” gently sent back to strumming a chord in 1st position because they couldn’t keep time and had no dynamics :slight_smile:

He is as good teacher as he is a player and he likes to teach, even before the site, there was quite a lot of people who had lessons with him.

6 Likes

my degree of respect for Mr. Gilbert just went up even more!

4 Likes

I think John Petrucci would be a great one ( since Paul Gilbert was also mentioned).
I view Paul as a fun guitar player for jamming and throwing the occasional serious shred lick in, but he is just so funky that it makes me smile everytime I watch him.
John Petrucci seems to have good ideas about training and really getting into the thick of practice.
Both just absolutely amazing players.
I would have picked Nuno Bettencourt, but I don’t think he could teach his style well because its just so much a part of him. That guy just plain BLEEDS groove.

1 Like

Also, while he may have changed his tune over the years, I’ve seen Nuno video clips for guitar magazines where he seems to advocate strongly on the side of “locking yourself in a room with a bunch of records and working things out for yourself is the best way to learn” camp. Maybe he was aiming that criticism more specifically at “lick lessons” and tablature, but he generally seemed to have fairly hard-assed attitude against “spoon feeding”.

1 Like