Your Favorite Concert DVD

What’s your favorite concert DVD? If I had to pick just one it would be The Song Remains The Same by Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page does some real good improvisational solos on that and the whole band just sounds great. The fantasy sequences were like a precursor to MTV - definitely ahead of their time.

Another DVD I like a lot is Rainbow Live In Munich 1977. They also play longer variations of their studio recordings and both Ritchie and Ronnie James are in top form. I prefer Ritchie’s live playing to his studio playing. He’s a master at improvising.

Judas Priest’s “Live Vengeance '82” is another concert that shows the band in its top form and they play all their classic songs on this one. That was the tour where Iron Maiden opened for them on their Number Of The Beast tour. What a great double bill!

1 Like

Bruce Springsteen - Live in NYC (Guitar fans will definitly want to check out Nils Lofgren’s solo in “Youngstown”)
Nightwish - Showtime, Storytime
Epica - Retrospect
Within Temptation - Black Symphony
Katatonia - Sanctitude
Jimi Hendrix - Live at Woodstock
The Big Four - Live from Sofia, Bulgaria
Alice In Chains - MTV Unplugged

Stop Making Sense by the Talking Heads is the best concert film ever!

Eric Johnson at Austin City Limits 1988.

3 Likes

dunno but this shot of Robert Plant during the intro to “in the evening” at Knebworth is pretty unreal. Dude captured the possessed look quite nicely

1 Like

Interesting that you mention Knebworth because just earlier today I was watching a concert from there in 1976. It was Lynyrd Skynyrd and they were amazing. The whole band was great. Listen to the piano solo in this!

1 Like

Queen Wembley 86
Hendrix Monterey
Eric Johnson ACL 90
SRV Live at the Mocambo
Dream Theater Score
G3 JS-EJ-SV
Yngwie Live!!!
Vai Astoria
Satriani Live in San Francisco
Led Zeppelin The Song Remains the Same
Van Halen Live Without a Net

Those ones are insanely good.

My latest favorite is, “Our Lives, 15 Years Later… Live in Studio!” Just got this a few weeks ago. Here’s one of the tracks.

I haven’t bought or watched a ton, but Porcupine Tree’s “Arriving Somewhere…” is pretty excellent - they were on fire that tour, and while the whole thing is filmed in a very effected/distressed manner, it’s very Porcupine Tree and fits their music, and you stop consciously noticing the editing pretty quickly

1 Like

not really a DVD per se, but my fave performance vid:

3 Likes

Troy needs to have him on for a Masters in Mechanics seminar.

yep, forget dwps or the newer “usx”…ol’ boy can demonstrate ‘awwbl’ any which way but loose

sub feature = how to turn an acoustic into a semi hollow body

1 Like