Zakk Wylde Pentatonic Hardcore DVD Search

Hey everyone! @Brendan not sure if this is the right category to post so please let me know once you read this. Also @Acecrusher you recently had a post on a Zakk DVD so thought you could chime in too.

There was a DVD made way back for Young Guitar in Japan by Zakk Wylde. The DVD has been ripped and put online under the name Pentatonic Hardcore. It is roughly 58 minutes in total. If you are into alternate picking and pinch harmonics o’doom like I am it’s a classic.

Anyways I have messaged YG in Japan but no response yet (damn you Google translate!). Someone posted on YT a clip of Zakk going through his 3NPS diatonic scales. He claims the title of the DVD when he bought it on Ebay was Pentatonic Hardcore 2. But he doesn’t know if that is the correct name either and there is no way to reach this individual directly.

Since I’ve had such great luck with great forum members I thought maybe someone would recognize this clip, etc. Would be happy to purchase the original or a copy and can Paypal you, Zelle, and so on.

Cheers- BB

2 Likes

Did YG send you a response since then?

Nothing yet still! There are short clips here and there on YT but I’d like to get the whole thing…

I wouldn’t be surprised. Google’s translation program isn’t that refined yet, so chances are that you sent them total gibberish🤪

Regarding that DVD you were talking about, I am also interested in getting my hands on it. Since I have a fairly good command of Japanese (better than Google at least), you could send me your original English message, and if you would like, I can translate it and send it to them.

that’s a bonus on a live DVD from BLS .I have it somewhere he’s also goes the solo to Miracle Man.

1 Like

is it listed here under ‘extra features’ ? hardcore vol 1 etc

1 Like

Hi Guys, thank you JonJon. I wonder if that hardcore vol 1 is the classic pentatonic hardcore he did in Japan I believe? That has been copied and can find it online pretty easily along with the pdf. I got some good nuggets out of that one. I checked e-bay, there are used DVD’s for $5 or so, worth it just for the concert anyways.

I’ll give it a look :slight_smile: Thx and happy new year to my BLS brothers…

2 Likes

JJ! So I checked the extra features in that link and those solo lessons are from my original diatonic scales video question. That is the good news. The bad news is I don’t believe that diatonic scales lesson is on that extra features section. It may be from another DVD but I can’t be 100% until I purchase the BBBB DVD.

Have a look:

1 Like

dude ive still got cassette lessons laying around lol

1 Like

Me too… Funny enough I was going through some old boxes last week and found my original Metallica cassette tapes from Kill Em All to ReLoad. Funny the memories that come up remembering where you got them, when you played them, etc. Cool trip down memory lane for sure.
Let me know when you rift through your 8-tracks if you find some ZW stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you get the BBBB DVD yet? If so, how did you like the show? I enjoyed it a lot. Zakk sure did drink a lot of beer during that show. Since you’re a big fan of his I was wondering if you might know if he quit drinking, or if he just drinks less now. I seem to remember hearing him say he had quit but I don’t remember for sure.

I think he essentially almost drank himself to death lol. IIRC, on doctors orders he had to quit, or die lol

1 Like

I’m sure I’ve seen something where Zakk says pretty much this.

(Edit: Replying to @JonJon. Tried to quote him, but the forum seems to not want to let me do that.)

2 Likes

Ah yes, we’ve noticed that too, a new forum feature…quotes should still work except you cannot quote an entire post, that’s probably what happened here. Makes sense for avoiding redundancy with long posts, but I can see how it can feel natural to quote the entirety of something short.

(The logic behind this is a bit hidden but basically: if you reply to the direct previous post, we can assume that’s what you’re replying to; whereas if you reply to a specific post not directly adjacent, it’ll indicate with an arrow to show who you’re replying to. In cases where that may not feel clear enough by all means you can also @ tag the person as you did here :smiley:)

Zakk’s drinking was legendary. It ironically saved him from life threatening blood clots he had but the doctor said you’ll be dead if you keep drinking. So it worked out well for him. Now he drinks Death Wish Coffee like a fiend. He has his own line from DWC called Valhalla Java Odin Force. It’s pretty solid as I am a coffee junkie myself. Beware if coffee effects your stomach… TREAD LIGHTLY :wink:

1 Like

Hey Ace! I am about to order the DVD now. Looking forward to it and hopefully all the lessons I’ve been inquiring about is on them! I am pretty confident now that the title in question is “Hardcore Vol. 1.” I have some inquires out to Young Guitar in Japan again so I’ll keep the group updated. Be well!

1 Like

Update: 6-29-23

I found this thread after viewing the Zakk Wylde Diatonic Scales video on Youtube; and immediately purchased the Black Label Society: Boozed, Broozed, & Broken-Boned DVD to hopefully solve this mystery.

The “Lesson” section on the Black Label Society: Boozed, Broozed, & Broken-Boned DVD is 20 minutes and 19 seconds long and features breakdowns of these songs:

0:01 Miracle Man
6:33 Cry Me A River
13:03 The Beginning At Last

Then the video cuts off abruptaly and returns to the main DVD screen.

In this “Lesson” section, Zakk repeatedly makes references to earlier lessons like content is missing.

The Diatonic Lesson shown above is NOT even on this dvd unfortunately.

I ordered this DVD because I wanted a higher quality version of this Pentatonic breakdown without any background hiss.

None of the footage on this Broken-Boned DVD is the dual camera “windowed” close up style like shown on the Vimeo link; just one camera angle at a time.

If you open this DVD on a PC, it wants to use Flash Player which doesn’t exist anymore so I opened this with VLC Player instead.

I went into the folder structure to see if any extra footage was placed somewhere, but none was to be found. I checked all of the Bonus Content and the Interview section just to be certain.

So the saga continues. Where is Zakk’s Hardcore Volume 1 DVD? I’m now doubting that was the final name of the missing lesson dvd.

These lessons are lost somewhere.

As an added bonus, I even tracked down and spoke with Marc Bonn from the Vimeo link above whom worked on this project years ago. He does not have any of the footage or a title nor ISBN/barcode.

He was helping a friend named Dave whom was actually in charge of this project for the footage of lesson DVD. A three camera setup was used to film this production.

Interestingly, Dave also filmed something that might have been a talk show format with Zakk.

Marc asked Dave once already 5 years ago if he had any more Zakk footage. Apparently some super fans have bothered him in the past XD

Dave did not unfortunately.

Here’s hoping that one day Dave finds this lost footage or even just an ISBN/Barcode or title so that this could be unearthed.

Please do not bother Marc Bonn, he was very friendly on the phone and understands the plight of the guitarists here.

I asked him to please upload any new info to his website or Vimeo etc. if he ever finds or hears something.

There must be a fan out there somewhere whom somehow bought this…

1 Like