357 mag - picking motion experiments

I would still stick with a single string and until you really nail it, then I would move on. If you still have trouble playing single string licks and syncing with them, or they are difficult like you indicated, I wouldn’t move on to the two string fragments, you may just have more trouble with those even if they are shorter fragments. I also wouldn’t worry about getting anything “up to speed”, I would worry about them sounding correct and locked in first.

It’s not the speed that makes any lick sound impressive, speed on its own isn’t hard to achieve-it’s how rhythmically locked in it is, or how it’s timed, that does, and is harder to achieve.

I just watched the video where I am tremolo picking using the elbow and you can’t see the pick at all. You can’t tell which direction it is slanted. But if you say the elbow is a joint that will only change strings after a downstroke then I guess that’s the way it is.

I’ve been trying some of that fellow’s looping exercises. The one exercise where he is playing A-B-C on the B string and then hitting the D note on the high E string is more difficult. My D note does not always sound as clear as the other notes.

Right, I couldn’t see the slant. You mentioned you had a downward slant throughout. And yeah, the elbow will only do downstroke escape on its own though, check this out:

usually when people play with an elbow based mechanic, they find it easier to have the pick either neutral or slanted slightly upward. Otherwise it tends to snag on the string.

I picked up Chris Brook’s Alternate Picking book and started working out of it tonight. I noticed with me if I try to pick from the wrist using an arc, hand swings down towards the floor on a downstroke and back up the other way on the upstroke, I have a hard time making it sound good.

Mostly what I hear is the note on the downstroke. The note on the upstroke sounds weaker.

What I notice I do more by habit or by nature is push the pick at a diagonal through the string. There is less string resistance this way. In other words I’m picking through the string at a diagonal going towards the lower horn of the guitar.

And the thumb and forefinger approach works well for this direction.

I just don’t know if I can learn to just use my wrist and move the pick in an arc downwards and then back upwards.

Can I get some feedback on this from you guys?

This would work better with a video showing the issue you’re having, but it sounds like you’re picking more or less with a similar style that I am, using fingers to go at a diagonal into the string? I’ll have to analyze myself more to see if I’m doing this (waiting on a certain something).

By the way, you don’t have to only use your wrist. It’s totally fine to use other parts of your arm in combination (including your fingers).

1 Like

I’m glad you kind of know what I’m talking about. I tend to use the fingers to go at the string at a diagonal towards the lower horn of the guitar. Last night I tried to incorporate my wrist as well. Something else I notice I do is if I begin my practice session with my right hand resting on the bridge, as time goes on my hand creeps up and I end up picking not over the middle pickup (on my Strat) but I end up picking between the neck pickup and the middle pickup. For me to always be resting my right hand on the bridge does not feel natural or that comfortable.

Well explain that a little, uncomfortable as in the saddle adjustment allen screws poking into you, or uncomfortable in another way?

1 Like

It just doesn’t feel natural for me to be resting my hand on the bridge. And when I swing my wrist back and forth I don’t feel like I can get much speed that way. I feel limited. As far as my right hand goes when playing a Strat, I’ve always noticed holding my hand closer to the middle picking so my right hand is actually floating above the strings instead of being anchored on the bridge. And I end up picking the portion of string between the neck and middle pickups.

Well how much pressure are you using when planting your palm on the bridge? You shouldn’t be using much, just enough to keep the strings muted that you don’t want ringing out, and not so much that it’s preventing your hand from moving freely.

I don’t think I’m using much pressure at all. When I play a Les Paul I do rest my hand on the bridge, but with a Strat no. My hand usually as I said floats above the strings.

If it feels comfortable for you to do that, and you don’t get a lot of extraneous noise, then I don’t see the issue