4 string descending arpeggio, last note picked up or down stroke?

Keeping in mind strictly Yngwie picking method, how would you play this phrase?

I don’t want to learn this the wrong way, is the last note on the descending an up stroke or a down stroke?

edit: I’ve been playing it with an upstroke but my gut feeling is I it should be down given other scenarios.

edit2: On the edge of my abilities at this pace :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Nice playing as always :+1:
Here’s how I’m playing this and from his live videos I think he always plays that F at the 8th fret (A string)

1 Like

Thanks!

Yes I’ve been doing that too, either way, since I haven’t started with the rest of the track I guess it will make more sense, this Malmsteen guy is an effing genius if you ask me :grin:

To be honest this riff winds you up with that half time 4/4 drum, there’s a lot of improv to be had! Great gateway drug to finding flow!

edit: I like your alternate descend, I tried that too earlier today, it works.

1 Like

I can’t take credit. Yngwie was nice enough to give us a closeup

1 Like

Nice; it falls into that chord!

Man you have astute sense for this! You must be a monstrous player. I’m so glad to read your posts here. Thank you!

Thankyou. I am glad to read your posts too :slightly_smiling_face:

Have been a fan of Yngwie’s for a REALLY long time and though, like many here, I took a multi-year break (from playing guitar) along the way, I still remember a lot of the Yngwie licks I learned back in the 80’s.
I bought Odyssey on vinyl the week it came out.

1 Like

That album has Krakatau, it may be my fav opening solo note in all of guitardom. What a mad track, it ain’t pretty but it’s Yngwie alright, what’s not to love.

edit: I don’t know but it might be his best album, I’m pretty fickle minded but damn it sums up the era.

For me that album is bitter sweet. Plenty of great music but the 80’s teenage guitar nerd that I was remembers this as the beginning of the decline of Yngwie’s flawless (pre-car wreck) technique.

When I read his auto/biographies there was some information overload. This is his first album after the crash? He stopped bending his thumb after the crash or I am imagining things? The song writing is pretty good here, I’m a little drunk atm as well :beers:

edit: do you have a fav album, it’s a silly notion I think but we feel things that change over time I guess.

Yes, first album after the crash.
Not sure about the thumb thing. Have to go back and review. The best Yngwie ever played was, imo, around 1986 on the Trilogy tour. Fortunately there is footage from that era. Unfortunately none of it, from what I’ve seen, is that great. No useable closeups.
Favorite Yngwie album? The ones which had the most impact on me were Marching Out & Rising Force.
I love the two Alcatrazz albums as well.

FWIW I have the Hal Leonard tab and that part is played like this:

1 Like

Without Hal Leonard tab books there would likely be no Cracking the Code so we have a lot to be thankful for.

3 Likes

It sounds/looks like he picks more notes on that live clip than the album. Extra suspected live pickstrokes in parentheses:

2 Likes

That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard this morning, LMAO

1 Like

What TAB software is that brother? Guitar Pro can’t do the ----| or the (V), I created a bug report.

I don’t’ know any printed Malmsteen book that’s any good, it’s a conspiracy by Yngwie :laughing:

Sibelius. Same program used at Hal Leonard for the last ~20 years BTW.

2 Likes

Yngwie doing a pick scratch while kicking his pick away lol

1 Like

His antics are legendary :smile:

I think you would pull off to that E natural. That’s how the descending lines with odd numbers works.

That’s a wide stretch though.

1 Like