Another guy can’t play fast

Hi!
I decided to ask you about my picking technique because it becomes very frustrating for me. I spending a lot of time to play and practice but I do not see any changes. I think the biggest problem for me is changing the string fast. My pick is stopped or something like that. 3 notes per string is very difficult for me. I put a small video at YT. I will be very grateful for any help.

3 Likes

Why do you stop using your elbow for the 3nps licks if you are doing your nice and smooth tremolo motion mostly from your elbow?

3 Likes

Super good elbow motion! What @gabrielthorn said.

For the first 13 notes or something, you’re using what looks like wrist. Then at 5 seconds mark you go above some speed threshold, click into elbow motion, and it slays.

The same happens at 0:14. First you’re playing with wrist, then you speed up and switch to elbow. I think I can also see your arm turning into slight pronation which would make sense, since the elbow motion’s downstroke escapes can be easier to do that way.

Try elbow for those 3nps licks?

3 Likes

@Slawekjackson, just to clarify the above point a little further, try some 3NPS patterns that only have downstroke escapes to prove that that escape is solid with the elbow (as we suspect at this point). It is likely that you think all you string changes aren’t working, but in fact 50% are not an issue.

If all is well and you can wail with downward escape playing, a) you will have a ton of links that will totally open up as possible and b) look at a helper motion to sort the upwards escapes out, it they are a problem. @Shredd and @gabrielthorn are right that your elbow is your friend here at present.

3 Likes

Sorry, yes, I should’ve mentioned this. Thanks for the hotfix!

2 Likes