Anybody have a Magnet for sale?

I am not particularly handy and will probably do a terrible job putting one together so I am hoping that someone has one that they are no longer using that they would like to part with.

Thanks!

1 Like

Pretty expensive

:bear:

Thanks. I already bought the instructions. However, I do not really feel like spending the time and money trying to put one together.

I was just hoping that someone either has a Magnet from the original run or has already assembled one that no longer wants it so that I can buy it from them.

I would really like to use the magnet to take help me improve my gypsy jazz right hand technique.

I felt the same way so what I did was order the instructions and parts and pay someone more skilled to put it together :slight_smile: So, that’s an option, too.
In fact I did an improvement to it the other day. It wasn’t holding my phone very tightly so I disassembled it, added a second pair of springs and even managed to assemble it again! Now it holds like a charm! In the process I found out that it actually isn’t so complicated.

Anyway, good luck!

Was it easy enough to find somebody that could put it together well? I’m not too handy either but happy to pay people to give myself time to do things I’m better at.

There was never an original run! We have always just made them by hand. It would be cool to produce them, and I’m sure they’d work better / smoother with molded plastic. It’s just a matter of allocating the cash, and the time / manpower. We’re always swamped.

1 Like

Yes. There’s a local music forum that has a DIY section and I placed a request there. A general DIY forum should do the job, too.

1 Like

Assembly is very easy. I say that as someone who isn’t very handy.

The biggest problem for me was finding replacement parts, because I couldn’t find the parts listed in the manual at a webshop that would ship to Scandinavistan. This made me quit the build the first time I wanted to do it.

A few months later I came back with the mindset that a screw of a certain length is as good as any other and if the spring tension isn’t identical that’s probably fine too. This–obviously!–turned out to be true :slight_smile:

If anyone in Europe ever puts together a build using online sources, it might be helpful if they shared the website they used and a shopping cart that led to a successful build. That might reduce friction for someone in the same situation later.

2 Likes

Hey Troy. Do you have a career outside of this guitar stuff? You seem like the kind of guy brainy enough to make a living as an engineer or inventor or something when not playing the axe.

I think at this point Troy’s full time job is just responding to posts on this forum :smiley:

2 Likes

This is a good point! While the main plastic body parts dictate certain constraints there’s definitely a good amount of wiggle room when it comes to exact sizes of springs, screws, thickness of rubber pads etc. Can’t hurt to experiment since those parts are generally pretty cheap and worst case you can just take apart and try with different ones.

Yes, I’m in the uk and would be very interested in this.

To be honest, essentially, I would like to purchase a pre-made magnet. I’m not handy at all and am not good at deciphering instructions.

I’m in Bulgaria but purchased the “original” parts. The trick is to use a shipping intermediary - you order the parts and ship them to their US address and they ship them to you. However, it can get quite expensive because of import fees and taxes so a local alternative would still be better.

Not trying to knock the Magnet here. I don’t have the extra funds or time to put one together. It’s a great idea and tool, I’m sure. However, a poor man’s solution is getting a cell phone holder for your dash with suction cup. Get one that is adjustable. May not be as great as the Magnet but I’ve seen YouTube posts of guys using them to make headstock shot videos and picking shots. You can get one off of Amazon for cheap.

1 Like

i’m from Italy,i’m ready to pay the total price of complete magnet and for the work(400?) BEFORE it is made;some good samaritan out there?,i’ll send paypal or WU or even bank transfer today!!!it would be my best Xmas gift!i’m not crazy,i trust in the forum and eventually take the risk,i’m 18+!!!

I’d be willing to build one and ship it for someone who’s willing to order me a set of parts as payment. I’m in the US but will ship anywhere.

1 Like

Awesome wgc 2005!,how do we get in touch?i want to send you my mail address!

1 Like

If you click another user’s name/avatar you should see an info box pop up with a “message” button which you can use to start a personal message. You can also get to your message inbox from the user menu in the upper right (your own user avatar > message/mail icon).

I don’t think we’ve written any specific guidelines yet about this kind of thing but I should probably mention we can’t take responsibility for anything that may result from such conversations. I have no reason to doubt in this case, just a general note! We do see spammers on the forum occasionally (we delete 'em as fast as we can) so be sure to take normal precautions before any online transactions, etc.

2 Likes

thanks Brendan for warning,maybe i should be better to contact adms before posting.Anyway i’ll be carefull,in case i’ll get an answer!Of course you have not responsability,as i wrote,ill take the risk,i’am 18+

Hi ironluca and Brendan-

got your message and responded. Please take my assurance that I’m not a spammer or anyone out to take advantage of anyone. Just trying to help someone out and wouldn’t mind a magnet myself.

(fwiw I sent some email to Brendan about helping to get these parts molded, and received a similarly gracious and thoughtful reply to the message above).

BR, Billy

1 Like