Bottom Strings and Power Grip and Stretches

Hi fellow guitarists!

I’ve been studying some major scale 3nps patterns, using Frank Gamabale’s classic Chop Builder. The picking is alright, even in higer speeds, but I’m struggling with my right hand. Some of the patterns, like the mixolydian demand frets 3 5 7 on the 6th, 5th and 4th strings and that feels very uncomfortable on my fretting hand. The exercise repeats 8 times in each mode and in the beginning it feels ok, but I get tired quickly.

I’ve studied this thread for a previous issue with my fretting hand about the power grip: Videos on fretting principles. The thread was great, and I really got better. However, in light of it, I’m struggling a lot to get a good power grip when I need to stretch on the bottom strings.

Can anyone help me? I’m not sure how to get better regarding this issue.

One note: I usually practice with the classical guitar, and made some tests with my electric. It is easier, but it still fells quite unconfortable and tiring.

1 Like

I suspect that video could be useful?

Its not a power grip, its an isometric hook. almost all guitar playing can be done without the thumb. The thumb is just a leverage point. Not a clasping grip. The thumb is almost totally isometric. very little contraction action.

Try pulling against the neck vs squeezing it. On the lower strings/down the neck.

The thumb almost always is a lever, not a grip. It does have a grip to it, but thats like 20 percent of what it does… The grip aspect is mostly to hold it there… so it can do its lever stuff, it anchors your fingers. It doesn’t really clasp or grip, it acts as a base. Just like how you walk on the floor, you`re not forcing your feet into the ground, you are working leavers.

It might feel like you’re using your thumb, but you really aint… You’re using your fingers with a thumb as a base

1 Like

I’ll try to make a video for you on how to approach stretching on the lower strings.

It’s a cylindrical power grip, not a hook grip.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ot9rUeg49eoLmcty8

The “power grip” distinction is to indicate that finger flexors of the forearm (FDP and FDS) provide the strength of the grip, not the lubricals of the palm or the small muscles of the thumb.

This is only true on an electric guitar with light to moderate string gauges. Thumb engagement is low, but where necessary it is preferable to use the strong flexors in the forearm rather than the small thenar muscles.

It’s a critical 20%.

I’d argue that it’s primary function is tactile, proprioceptive and kinaesthetic reference.

3 Likes

I would not be able to thank you enough, if you are able to do this.

That’s really important for me, I thought the power grip was a single grip, not a group of different grips.

I’ve really felt that, as most of my recent practice is with the classical guitar, when I play the electric it is much more comfortable and easy with the left hand. Playing with the strap also helps me a lot.

On those lower strings, I can feel my thumb engagin pretty hard, similar to a barre on the stretches and that is really tiring. Actually barres are pretty tiring for me in general.

The reason I call it an isometric hook is because of the actions I see, I’m unaware of the definitions you posted, is this incorrect?

Based on the image you posted wouldn’t most playing be a mix of cylindrical and hook?

In terms of a bottom string strech its not a cylindrcal grip. I know that. But I don’t use these words myself, so I’m not able to put it into a set definition as you are @Tom_Gilroy

This is what I would class it as.