Building blocks for Bebop Licks/ jazzy lines

Hi everyone.

I want to expand my lick vocabulary and I want to dive into the world of jazz guitar, especially Bebop.

I am familiar with the building blocks of sequences in metal/ shred guitar, where you take a number of notes out of the major/ minor or pentatonic scale (or be that another scale) and then repeat and combine them.

Now I want to know how to create Bebop lines. I found this great video of a saxophone player.

Am I rigjht in assuming that there are basically two steps to creating Bebop lines, the steps being 1. deciding what notes to take from a scale/ arpeggio (in this video he takes the notes of a Eb maj7 arpeggio) and then 2. playing around those notes using targeting/ passing notes?
And do you think that in theory, the ways that one specific note can be targeted are limited? I thought it´d be helpful to learn to targeting notes first before combining notes. That´s why I am looking for “targeting patterns”, if you want so.

Do you know other ways to create lines? Looking forward to your recommendations.

2 Likes

I’ve also been getting into Jazz recently and it seems a big part of the sound of Jazz is soloing based around arpeggios. I found standards where I could solo with one scale the whole way through, and while that was much easier, to my ear, it didn’t sound very Jazzy.

Have you heard of the concept of “Enclosures”? It’s an incredibly powerful arpeggio/passing note based approach (although it works well with pentatonic scales as well) that has helped me sound a lot Jazzier while also giving me a little more freedom

Here’s a quick example that show’s how effective it can be:

Here’s a more in depth look at what enclosures are:

2 Likes

No, I hadn´t heard about enclosures but I guess that is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Do you know further ressources that go through “types” of enclosure? The guy from the second video has a book out, I might buy that one.

1 Like

Back when I was in college, many years ago!, we had to transcribe solos. Learn the lines over the key chord progressions (ii v i’s) etc and use them. Learn what notes are being targeted and how. Create variations on those lines and make them your own.

1 Like

Tbh I haven’t found a great deal of resources on enclosures, this video has quite a few examples, might be enough to give you a framework to build from :grin:

EDIT:

Also Jens is great for this sorta stuff:

2 Likes

These are great too, thanks!

1 Like