Cliffs of Dover hybrid nightmare

Yeah it is! The first part is just improvised around the Austin City Limits version.

Revisting this thread that I started. I wpuld have hoped that I would have improved a little by now, but no. Absolute shitshow. I have been practicing regularly, but not obsessively overdoing it… I went to document my progress… lol I’m so embarrased!

I still struggle to pluck fast enough and my best efforts result in a movement that seems incompatible with my picking…

Edit: Apologies for the profanity, I attached the wrong vid (which edited it out!). Oh well… at least you can sense the frustration!!

3 Likes

lol I love this! Thanks for including the profanity :slight_smile:

To me, your picking fingers looked very closed/curled. I think that could be an issue as the fingers aren’t at their optimum in that posture. Here’s a screengrab from the man himself in the middle of that lick:

See how relaxed and extended his fingers are? Sure, they are not straight but they are are far from curled up.

I did a still from the video I made for you too, and I notice the same sort of thing:

It could have something to do with the concept of the hand at rest. That’s personal too, like it could be different for me than you possibly. You may have a more closed hand than me at rest, but I do think the amount yours is closed looks a little excessive.

I can’t grab a still of @Twangsta or @Philausopher just due to the camera angle (youtube progress bar gets in the way). I noticed they both seem to have a grip that’s a little more closed than what I’m doing, but still look way open as compared to what we’re seeing in your latest video.

Cheers for the post! Indeed, if I straighten my finger, there is more potential speed for the pluckin’. However, it does make it weird for the picking, but there is a greater chance that I’ll be able to adjust to that…

Your advice, may also be the reason for the below…

I had one day, just one, where everything was working perfectly. Hasn’t happened again :slight_smile: I’ll post my own progress soon, it’s ok but still not great. Cheers! Z

1 Like

It started working again today so I quickly recorded a video, and added some notes about how I practiced it. I’ve been working on this for some time, exploring different practice methods. Some were useful, others seemed useful as I did them but I don’t feel they materially improved my ability … so this vid contains the ones I think were good.

I still can’t do it consistently, and am not as good as @Philausopher – I don’t know if that day will ever come :’-( – but I’m ok with this rendition. I also think the practice ideas are good, and perhaps might help others hacking at this.

The best run-throughs of the lick happen at about 7:00 mins in.

Covered in this video:

• practicing hands separate (LHand only, then RH)
  • slow practice to release tension, and to observe proprioception
  • bursts
  • slow-fast-slow-fast practice

My picking hand position notes:

• pinkie is anchored on the guitar face, which helps provide a frame of reference
  • wrist is rather straight, as far as I can tell no real wrist flexion or extension

Cheers all! jz

Sounds pretty darn good to me man! And on an acoustic to boot.

1 Like

I’m trying to emulate the master. Aka you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds great man, I’ll go through the vid properly tonight!

You had some great takes in there! The setup looks very comfortable and relaxed.

1 Like

Assuming you meant that for @jzohrab :wink:

Yeah…

But take heart. With the power of positivity I fully believe I’ll be saying exactly the same thing to you in short order :slight_smile:

Lol, I’m afraid that the point of ‘short order’ is well and truly passed for me, but yes… one day… :grin:

@PickingApprentice: It has taken me a long time to reach it, with some dead ends and time wasted on ineffective practice methods. And it still didn’t click until I finally tweaked the hand position! That was when I finally felt the “oh, THIS is how I need to do.”

I’ll have to try replicating it today, because it’s happened in the past that I had a motion one day and not the next, due to these unconscious adjustments. When you’re not a natural, I find you have to really think about these unconscious things. Pretty effing tedious really :slight_smile:

Being hyper aware of accumulated tension is useful. One benefit I find of constantly releasing extraneous tension is that I can keep making small adjustments or even bigger changes, to keep experimenting. If something isn’t working, and I just keep practicing, I’m not really exploring, I think. So the slow practice helps.

It’s a tough balance because there are things like new skill acquisition which feel just wrong for a time, but several short practice sessions over several days gives you time to acclimate. And of course, practicing fast is necessary, to ensure that you have a decent motion. But the slow practice is key too!

Give the ideas in the vid a shot and see if they work for you.

Cheers, z

Update: I tried it again today, and still works. Phew! I notice again that tension is a key thing … when I first started it today I had tension in my picking arm triceps, and weirdly in both arms near the wrist some sort of tension in one arm is getting “mirrored” by the other arm). I believe the triceps tension was my body somehow trying to control the arm, but I also have the pinkie anchored on the guitar face and so was able to consciously adjust that tension during slow play and fast play, which was good. Then I worked on bursts up to 150 bpm, which I can just barely make. So I’d play eights and then bursts of sixteenths:

and then start that same rhythm on the next note. Best wishes! z

Its reassuring that most of what is in you video, I am currently doing, so I’ll keep at it.

One concept that I wasn’t sure about was when you say “Pay attention to what is going on internally”, could you expand on that?

Sure. The body uses something called “proprioception” to keep track of itself as it moves — limb positions, and I believe also relative limb speed etc. It’s an important part of motor skill acquisition, according to researchers, as it is how the body watches itself.

When I’m playing slowly, I’m finding and releasing tension, and I’m also paying close attention to relative limb positions and sensations, not visually, just internal sensations. I don’t get overwhelmed, just noticing things like weight, engagement, motions, how little effort I need to accomplish something, etc. Overall physical feel. Also noting the tone I’m getting from guitar. It’s a relaxed interested survey of the whole machine.

My theory is that by tuning in on that info consciously, I’m going to become more aware subconsciously during fast practice, and help my brain and nervous system sort out what’s happening. But this theory could be nonsense, so another way to look at it is as a thorough scan for reducing effort, which is also important as playing guitar requires good coordination of excitatory and inhibitory nervous system processes — I wrote more about that here :slight_smile:

Cheers! Z

Cool, thanks for the explanation, it sounds very much like “The inner Game of Music” that I read a long time ago, where you practice sonething along the lines of ‘non-judgemental awareness’ - acknowledging something that isn’t quite right and allowing your body to make the necessary adjustments…

Right, I read that too a while back! Yes, very much. Mental relaxation = physical relaxation, which leads to better experimentation and awareness. I’m not a pro at most things, but I’m a pro at beating the shit out of myself. While self-flagellation feels good in a sick way, it’s not useful. You can also take a Zen angle: attachment leads to suffering. :slight_smile: Cheers!

1 Like

Okay, coming up to a year of practicing this (i’m not even joking, I’m ashamed to say). I have been working from home pretty solidly this year and have practiced this most days of the week - a few times a day mixing up the various advice in the thread.

Whilst I have made progress, this horse feel thoroughly flogged and I’m starting to wonder whether its worth it haha! This is it at its best… I can’t access that last 20% of speed and fluidity

Anyone got any thoughts on what they are seeing?

I have focused a lot on attempting to relax as much as possible and also hand positioning experimentation which has helped.

Positive mindset has also helped, but I can’t stop the nagging feeling of “maybe my body simply cannot do it and I should just accept that and move on”.

1 Like

Hey man! Awesome playing! I hybrid pick too!

Here’s the thing though, I don’t move “just” the finger, it’s more like the finger is placed in between or under the string, ready to go and my regular picking motion picks the picked note, and it’s THAT motion that pulls my finger across the string, and as I go back to doing the picked note that finger goes back to it’s spot so that I can do it all over again. So while the finger does reach a little bit, it’s really my wrist motion that causes the hybrid pick…

I play that particular bit with an upstroke, then middle finger pluck.

I hope that helps?