I thought this would be fun.
Which best describes your current relationship with your picking/motion mechanic?
- I am USX and mostly satisfied
- I am DSX and mostly satisfied
- I am DBX and mostly satisfied
- I am USX but I wish I was DSX
- I am DSX but I wish I was USX
- I am single escape (USX or DSX) but I wish I was DBX
- I am DBX but I wish I could do single escape (USX or DSX)
- I haven’t found a fast efficient picking motion, that’s why I’m here!
- I’ve gone down the rabbit hole of getting competent in all of these and now I can’t decide what to concentrate on
For clarity, the prescribed path to success is to first get a good single escape motion going and then add more techniques (if desired) once the foundation is solid. I mainly put that last choice in for myself lol! I’m a hobbyist (failed attempt at pro musician in my younger years, but guitar is my lifetime companion) and learning new motions is as fun for me as anything else I can think of doing on the instrument. I also know I’m not alone there, so maybe it will be a good choice for some others too.
It’s a poll but feel free to comment on your situation. If you can do an escape motion but wish you had a different one, why? Ex: “I’m DSX but I want to play EJ phrases”
If you’re satisfied, what are some triumphs you can share now that you’re comfortable with the super powers that come with your motion. Maybe more importantly, what’s allowed you to get into this advantageous state of mind where you don’t care about the “implications” of your motion and are instead focusing on all the benefits? Ex: “I am DSX but I’m a huge EJ fan. I’ve managed to use strategic legato and/or start certain phrases on an upstroke so that I can use EJ’s vocabulary with my motion”.