Eruption tapping but alternate picked

Fun stuff

Stephan Taranto

6 Likes

Pretty amazing playing! Excellent mixed escape exercise too.

Not gonna lie, it sounds way cooler tapped. Stillā€¦I have this uncontrollable urge to want to play it all picked now though lol!

2 Likes

Whereā€™s the yo-yo? Would be way better with a yo-yo.

1 Like

You know you have a problem when you want to make something harder just so it can sound less cool. lol I kid, I kid!

1 Like

All good, Iā€™m well aware I have the problem of just liking challenges. I think I enjoy playing guitar more than I enjoy listening to music though. Iā€™m well aware this is backwards, but we all like what we like lol!

4 Likes

Nah I feel that. I think Iā€™m often more interested in questions like ā€œis this possible?ā€ And ā€œcan I do this/how do I do this?ā€ Rather than ā€œdoes this sound good?ā€ Haha

3 Likes

welp, I may as well give up now.

Holy cow! That was awesome!

Its not kidding when itā€™s true. Impressive and neat to watch and no I canā€™t play it that wayā€¦but the flow and feel of the original passage is lost.

Sure, but not really the point. He was obviously just giving himself a challenge for yucks.

2 Likes

Of course. Doesnā€™t change the fact it doesnā€™t sound as good.

I still remember hearing Eruption for the first time, it was totally a WTF moment, particularly regarding the two-handed tapping. The alternate picked version is fun/clever, but it proves that any technique should only be used in moderation.

And then thereā€™s thisā€¦

1 Like

That dude totally couldā€™ve used a yo-yo right there!! Kids these daysā€¦ā€¦

3 Likes

Ummm wowā€¦ That was pretty amazing also!

thats the type of dude who can alternate pick eric johnson fives

Check this out!

That gives me tendinitis just looking at it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

His fretting posture is pretty interesting/smart though. Just looking at his index finger I think heā€™s favoring the stretch by the natural (i.e. index extension, pinky flexion) axis over the more grueling abduction stretch (i.e. spreading the fingers apart). Also, using some web-fu to allow slowing down the video, I see there are places where he ever so slightly he releases the index to aid with the biggest stretches.

Not saying I could play this or the Taranto, but if I was forced at gun point I think Iā€™d choose this version lol! And again no shade to Taranto, he was proving a pointā€¦but the legato just sounds better (to my ears).

EDIT:

Here, for science, I put it on YT so we can slow it down and see the little interesting things he does to make it a little easier

4 Likes

Damn!! You have crazy strong fingers.