Exercises v Licks v Songs

compare Paul to someone like Yngwie though. Compared to Yngwie, Paul is an open book

odd, the only piano book I ever bought was pure exercises lol. I forget what it was but it was a famous one

Well, despite claims of being tight lipped and the whole premise of CTC that his technique was ā€œundecipherableā€, he did make that early VHS video with close ups of his technique. And there were a few really good vids he made for the Japanese market in the 90s.

I contend that if you hunker down exclusively will all his recorded videos and learn a handful of his songs, you will end up a very accomplished player.

On reflection, Intense Rock and Rock Discipline were two videos that dangled a (frustrating) carrot in front of you without being all that useful. Its all about the songs.

ā€¦but, similarly, Iā€™d wager heavily that every single one of those guys also spent time practicing exercises, and that there are hundreds of thousands of guitarists who spent just as much time as those top players learning covers, and also never got to their level.

At the end of the day, do what works for you. If working on covers gets you there, then right on. \m/

Hey Tommo, how is learning ā€œDaydreamā€ going? Is that the song with the fast acoustic guitar solo at the beginning? Can you play that acoustic solo?

The following question is for anyone in this thread who learns technical guitar songs:

In general, whose songs are more difficult to play, Vinnie Moore or Tony Macalpine?

Vinnie has lots of weird angular jazzy licks at times

I only have Mindā€™s Eye - the one with ā€œDaydreamā€ I donā€™t recall jazzy sounding licks but itā€™s been a long time since Iā€™ve listened to it. Or are those jazzy ones only on other albums of his?

Have you ever tried learning a Tony Macalpine song? GFTPM had a transcription to the unaccompanied solo ā€œQuarter To Midnight.ā€ Did you (or did anyone here) try learning that?

1 Like

no thats the album i thinking of. I remember the transcription to ā€œPieces of a Pictureā€ and some of the licks were pretty angular little pieces of arps and then of course you hear some chromatics especially in his legato

1 Like

The study is going ok thanks! I transcribed the solo with 80~90% accuracy (some runs are simply impossible to decipher - and the tabs out there donā€™t make sense), but my execution is not very clean at the moment, mainly due to the extreme speed of the solo & the awkward ascending/descending 4s patterns in the main theme.

The classical intro you are thinking of is ā€œSaved by a Miracleā€. I happen to have transcribed that part, I think I have it down at least 95% correct. I can sort of play it but again I need to do some serious cleaning up before I can record any of these things.

Incidentally, Iā€™d be happy to share some of these semi-correct transcriptions in here if thereā€™s enough interest! I would love to have a study group on the VinMan :slight_smile:

@JonJon Do you still have the transcription for that Vinnie song? Was it reasonably accurate? If so Iā€™d be very interested in it :slight_smile:

@Drew,@ChrisX - Sorry I havenā€™t yet had time to follow the whole discussion but noticed that Andy Timmons was mentioned. I think some of his tunes, e.g. from the album Resolution, could be ideal for a ā€œshreddy but musicalā€ study group. I donā€™t know if there are good videos or transcriptions available, though.

Bruh that was almost 30 years ago lol

do people just despise songster versions or what? (no clue just wondering)

1 Like

Iā€™m not overly interested in a ā€œmusical study group,ā€ exactly, butā€¦

ā€¦the nice thing about Timmons is, thereā€™s a LOT of good quality video footage of him playing most of his well known tunes on Youtube, including a full concert of the ā€œResolutionā€ album Iā€™ve seen somewhere, hosted from Portugal, I think. Heā€™s done a lot of clinic videos, playthroughs, gear demos, etc, so thereā€™s plenty of footage to check fingerings, etc.

Also, if you ever get a chance to do so, catch him in a clinic. The guy has a great ear and is a walking songbook - the time I caught him at Mattā€™s Music outside of Boston, heā€™d be talking through something or other and mention say a Beatles song, and then break into it, often arranging the changes, melody, and harmony on the fly, while copping a pretty good take on the vocal inflections, to boot. This was before he did Sgt. Pepperā€™s, making it even more impressive - the guyā€™s ear, and ability to translate that onto the fretboard, are really pretty remarkable.

1 Like

All comes back to practicing and learning songs. Exercisesā€¦ pffft!

So I STILL have no clue why you think songs are ipso facto better than exercises, based on this conversation, and Iā€™d really like you to explain, because when you offered up an example of a song to learn, you chose The Glass Prison, precisely because it had so little ā€œfluffā€ like melodies and motifs, making it basically one giant exercise. Weā€™re all here because we want to learn, and if youā€™ve got some useful insights Iā€™d love to talk through them and better understand where youā€™re coming from, and for a while there I thought I did and thought you had a pretty good point until you said that, no, it wasnā€™t the phrasing that was valuable, in learning the melody lines in a song, because that made you sound like a clone. So, Iā€™m back to square one and have no idea where youā€™re coming from here. :smiley:

Butā€¦ to this specific pointā€¦ I disagree. What was impressive about Andyā€™s playing in that clinic wasnā€™t ā€œOMG thatā€™s a song heā€™s playing!ā€ but rather the fact that he was pretty clearly arranging this stuff on the fly. He was playing the vocal melodies as guitar melodies, his phrasing was doing a pretty good job of replicating the feel of the vocal line, he knew what was going on harmonically and occasionally would be just demonstrating how something resolved that either was going on in the rhythm section directly or was being implied by the combination of the chord changes and the vocal line, etc. Or, in short, what was so cool about watching him talk through and demonstrate this stuff was it was pretty clear that he hadnā€™t spent time ā€œlearningā€ these songs, but that he had a good enough grasp of harmony and ear for melody, and a (frankly, exceptional) faculty for phrasing on the guitar, that he was able to just work this stuff out off the cuff, and that there seemed to be little to no filter between what was going on in his head, and his ability to execute that on the fretboard. Anyone can play someone elseā€™s song if they study it enough - it takes one hell of a musician to recall a vocal line in their head, and in real time pull off a convincing job capturing the nuances of that line (not just the raw notes, but the slurs, the dynamics, the overall feel) as well as demonstrate how it fit in to the overall harmony. And this definitely wasnā€™t pre-rehearsed stuff - there were a few, ā€œwait, thatā€™s not quite right, I think it actually goes like thisā€ moments, or a couple points where someone in the crowd would mention a song and then Andy would work it out more or less flawlessly in front of us. The songs themselves werenā€™t impressive - his ear and ability to translate melodies in his head authentically on the fretboard, on the other hand, was incredible. Not because heā€™d practiced this stuffā€¦ but because he clearly hadnā€™t.

Youā€™ve got this totally dogmatic ā€œsongs good! exercises bad!ā€ thing going, and Iā€™d love a proper articulation as to why you believe that, but so far you havenā€™t really put one forward, which is making having a serious conversation about this increasingly hard.

Its because the point of learning guitar is to perform music. Learning pieces that can be performed, and performing them 100% perfectly is the goal.

If someone practices exercises, it does not contain the vital skills of endurance, memory, and complete accuracy required to perform a complicated piece. Knowing 70% of this, 80% of that is a failure. You canā€™t just perform 70% of a song unless your musical vision is limited to riffing bits and pieces in a music store.

The ā€œbasic unit of currencyā€ as a musician is the ability to perform songs.

IME, it is a rare exercise that actually improves oneā€™s ability to learn/perform music (when that time could actually have been spent on a song.) In the process of learning a song, there will be difficult parts that you may need to break out and expand, create an exercise if you will, but its in service of the song.

Hey, awesome, thatā€™s something we can actually discuss - thanks for explaining! :+1:

What about traditions that are rooted in improvisation, then? Most of my lead playing is improvised, I got my start playing blues, really, and still carry a lot of that over with me today. In my own music I donā€™t really ā€œwriteā€ solos, I have a solo section in mind, have a rough feel or vibe or structure in mind, and then improvise itt.

Or what about songwriting? Iā€™ve certainly learned a few songs and solos note for note in my day and every once in a while Iā€™ll play one for fun but generally when I do itā€™s more to figure out, harmonically, why a solo works. Rather, my focus is more on writing my _own_music - coming up with a few melody lines that work well together, a cool set of changes, a memorable riff, etc, with an eventual aim of recording that song. For me thatā€™s way more of a focus than learning someone elseā€™s songs.

Idunnoā€¦ Listening to you explain this, I think the biggest difference in what weā€™re thinking here is we just have different goals. Iā€™m not overly interested in being able to play a Yngwie tune note for note. Iā€™m VERY interested in being able to show up at a blues jam and take an improvised solo that turns a few heads, or to write and record a piece of music that can resonate with and move someone else. I think learning other peopleā€™s music can be a good way to get insight into another personā€™s composition process or get new harmonic ideas or push myself out of my own comfort zone and potentially identify areas of weakness that I wasnā€™t aware of, but itā€™s definitely not the only way Iā€™m going to grow as a musician, and honestly one of the best ways to push myself compositionally Iā€™ve found is to simply sit down with a guitar and start making up chord shapes and bouncing them off each other until I come up with something that sounds pretty cool, then figure out why thatā€™s working, and see how I can build a melody that works with it. Thatā€™s sort of a mix of free-form improvisation coupled with applied music theory, I guess.

Either way, if being able to perform songs that someone else will know is a primary musical goal for you, then no arguments - youā€™re way better off teaching yourself songs than practicing scale patterns. I just think that if thatā€™s not one of your goals (and my two main goals are to write better music and to become a better improviser), itā€™s not the only way to grow as a musician, or even necessarily the best.

EDIT - idunno. The short version is I donā€™t think thereā€™s only one answer here, and the right answer for you is going to depend hugely on your musical goals. Iā€™m not saying youā€™re wrong to focus on learning songs, far from it because for you the ability to play recognizable songs is an important part of what it means to be a guitarist. I just think that there are many other visions of what it means to be an accomplished guitarist, and for some of those other visions it may not be the best fit or the fastest way to get there. Does that make sense to you?

Obviously there are differences in approach, but the general trend of failed players is that they spend more time on exercises than on songs. I also believe that learning songs implant the templates for writing music.

And when I say ā€œexerciseā€, I am talking more generally about wasted time where your fingers are moving buy you arenā€™t developing musically.

If someone tells me they are stuck at 70 or 80% of a song, that tells me they skipped some stages in development. If they had previously worked out a similar but easier song, they would have developed the fortitude to push through and nail it 100%.

This is such a basic concept. The problem may actually be that people who arenā€™t musically accomplished, who canā€™t really perform and arenā€™t respected as musicians, are setting up shop and trying to sell their vision of music education.

Looking back, ā€œSpeed Mechanics for Lead Guitarā€ was basically some industrious high school kid who got the idea to brainstorm on hundreds of picking exercises outside the context of anything that was actually useful.

We see something similar these days. High school girls make youtube videos of themselves in yoga pants and bill themselves as ā€œpersonal development coachesā€ or some such nonsense. Owning a videocamera does not make one a guru.

Eh, with all due respect, I disagree with you that thereā€™s any such thing as a ā€œone size fits allā€ approach, and as youā€™re not exactly coming across as being willing to engage, exactly, so much as preach and make wildly unsubstantiated claims, I think weā€™ve reached the limits of fruitful discussion. Iā€™m happy youā€™ve found something that works for you, however. :+1:

2 Likes

Can you tell us how you came to this conclusion? What data is it based on?

1 Like

How many failed players do you know that can perform a ton of songs in their style? None.

At the point that someone has learned and can perform many songs in their style they are a success.

Being able to play any songs in your style is what defines success. A shredder who canā€™t play songs by MAB or YJM or PG hasnā€™t made it.

But how did you decide that they failed to learn songs because they were working on exercises?