Exercises v Licks v Songs

Working on excercises does not make someone a failure, but neither does it make them a success.

Showing the ability to conquer songs is what demonstrates success.

Any real measure of success in music, passing an audition, performing for an audience, making videos for youtube, involves successfully playing complete songs.

The measure of success and the route to getting there are not the same thing. Yes, you can prove that you can play songs by playing songs. That doesnā€™t mean learning complete songs is the only way to learn to play or that those who donā€™t succeed spent too much time on exercises.

Iā€™m glad you found something that works for you, but I think youā€™re jumping the gun on assuming itā€™s a universal rule.

1 Like

Wealth is judged, not by how much you have worked, but by how much money you have. I think if you get your mind around this it will open some doors.

Again, youā€™re confusing how you judge with how you learn.

Success as a surgeon is judged by successful surgeries, but that doesnā€™t mean surgical students donā€™t spend tons of time on textbooks and cadavers.

Ok, unless you convince me this isnā€™t a waste of my time, this is my last post in this thread.

But, this is one of the things that jumped out as the strangest in your post above this - ā€œā€¦the general trend of failed playersā€¦ā€ But, whatā€™s a ā€˜failed playerā€™?

You define it here:

But, isnā€™t that a little bit of a logical fallacy? If you define success as ā€œthe ability to play other peopleā€™s songsā€ then definitionally of course the fastest way to learn to play other peopleā€™s songs is to learn to play other peopleā€™s songs.

I guess the point Iā€™m trying to make here, though, is not that I question your prescription - I think itā€™s dead-on right, given the way you define the problem. where I disagree is how you define the problem - to me, ā€œsuccessā€ or ā€œnot being a failed guitaristā€ isnā€™t the ability to play other peopleā€™s songs (and, to reiterate a post above, that was absolutely not what impressed me so much about that Timmons clinic, because it was incredibly clear he HADNā€™T practiced instrumental versions of Beatles and Kinks tunes - full disclosure, this was maybe five years before he did Sgt. Pepperā€™s).

Rather, for me, ā€œsuccessā€ is the ability for me to hear a set of chord changes or for someone to call them out to me, and to rip off an off-the-cuff killer guitar solo. Or, itā€™s to sit down and write and perform a piece of music Iā€™m genuinely excited and proud of when I hear the playback. Playing other peopleā€™s music is cool and all, but itā€™s not really a priority. And I donā€™t think that makes me a ā€œfailed guitarist,ā€ I think that just means I have a different set of goals than you do.

Does that make any sense at all to you, the distinction Iā€™m drawing? Do you see the point Iā€™m getting at?

I mean, devilā€™s advocateā€¦ But Iā€™d be surprised if Joe Satriani can play a lot of MABā€™s harder solos. Likewise, I imagine Yngwie would struggle with Satrianiā€™s music, as well. That doesnā€™t mean either is a ā€œfailed guitarist.ā€ And one of my favorite new players, Nick Johnston, I believe has been pretty honest about the fact that a lot of his style came from trying and failing to play Yngwieā€™s music. Past a certain point, part of having a distinctive style and voice on a guitar is as much what you canā€™t do as it is what you can, and thatā€™s totally ok.

1 Like

Ironically, I have learned handful note for note satriani songs and from technique standpoint they are somewhat easy, so I consider them a stepping stone to the most advanced songs. They were some of the most beneficial things Iā€™ve studied however.

If anything, they taught me the amount of time it takes to progress through pieces of that length. He uses so many bends that they really take their toll on the fingertips after many hours, even with caluses. I got to a place where i would say this is ā€œwithout bendsā€ version of his songs for practice.

BTW I had to put Nick Johnson on ignore. There was no reason his stuff should have kept showing up in my YouTube feeds, leading me to believe he has juked the search engine, or maybe has a brother that works at youtube.

I see what you are saying about improvising, but everything I improvise that is worth a damn stems from something from a song.

In karate they have Katas which are a collection of techniques like a song. They are graded so you can progress through them and they capture all the techniques of the style.

This is an acknowledgement of how the mind works, how it best learns. Being able to string techniques together in the context of something greater is the best way to capture and memorize.

I think youā€™ll be hard pressed to argue that learning unrelated exercises without any context is as valuable at least from a memorization standpoint.

Iā€™m sorry, but this conversation is a waste of time - one of the things Iā€™ve really come to appreciate about this forum is a lot of the members are very open minded and inquisitive, and youā€™re more invested in shutting down opinions that donā€™t match your own than in discussing. Iā€™m legitimately, non-sarcasically happy that youā€™ve found a way to progress that meets your musical goals, but as long as you keep defining success as a guitarist, whatever that means, in terms of your preferred manner to acheive success, then we canā€™t have a serious conversation about the pros and cons of different approaches. All the more so if youā€™re going to pause to take shots at players I like.

Iā€™d also suggest that if your preferred way of improvising is ā€œjust play something I learned in a sing,ā€ then youā€™re not improvising, but thatā€™s neither here nor there. Best of luck in your musical journey. :+1:

EDIT - also, considering so much of the CtC curriculum is very exercise-based and hones in on how various picking approaches lend themselves to playing different sorts of patterns, and addresses that concept using small, finite, licks and exercises, then what are you even doing here? Iā€™m legitimately confused.

2 Likes

And youā€™re more interested in making personal attacks against someone with a different opinion who tries to argue his side. Just because you donā€™t like my arguments doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m trying to shut down or not discuss this.

Check yourself. (I wrote a lot of text for someone who is trying to shut down discussion)

nah bro, you are just stating the same thing over and over.

ā€œfailedā€
ā€œsuccessfulā€

thats all 100% subjective. there are people who call Joe Stump a failed guitarist. So I guess everyone in this conversation is also ā€œfailedā€

and when you said this you really jumped the shark: ā€œthe general trend of failed players is that they spend more time on exercises than on songs.ā€ Im the third person to point out that you just pulled this out of thin air lol. I could just as easily pull out this statement: ā€œthe general trend of failed players is that they spend more time on songs than on exercises.ā€ ā€œScience shows that most failed players own fakebooksā€

Nobodys mad or anything but you are simply trying to push your personal preference or theory on the worldā€¦with no proof

2 Likes

Squids produce a lot of ink but you donā€™t see them getting the Nobel prize for literature.

In subsequent post I provided a logical argument and clarified my position.

Iā€™m just trying to light a spark in you guys. Maybe a year from now when you get stuck and you are admiring other players and ask why you didnā€™t get there, maybe you will remember what Iā€™m telling you now.

ok thanks, ill remember this if I get stuck next year. other than that im deffo thru here.

peace out, JJ

1 Like

Hey all, been following this discussion and I think so far itā€™s mostly been in good faith all around. Letā€™s try to keep it that way and be open to opinions that may or may not be wildly different than your own :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It strikes me the crux of the disagreement here might arise from the sentiment here:

Totally fair to define ā€œthe point of learning guitarā€ this way for you personally, but (and Iā€™m echoing what others here have commented) we should keep in mind not everyoneā€™s going to approach it in the same way.

I think probably the case for any hobby, creative pursuit, whatever ā€” just to take another random example, some people who love rock climbing might say ā€œthe pointā€ is to summit amazing mountains; others would say, no, the point is most definitely to solve challenging technical problems. Both are right! Thereā€™s no one answer to this question. I think fair to say with music, too, thereā€™s no universal measure of ā€œsuccessā€.

If we can agree on that, at least, and be clear when weā€™re sharing opinions / preferences as opposed to trying to define a single goal for everyone, I think thatā€™ll make it easier to debate, or at least agree to disagree, on the finer points of how and what to practice, etc.

2 Likes

well also its sort of obvious to point out that a term like ā€˜failed guitaristā€™ is simply a grenade to drop into a room. ill leave it at that

1 Like

The whole PREMISE OF CTC is that teaching failed us, that we didnā€™t become what we wanted because there were problems with the way we were educated.

The first part of fixing a problem is admitting you have a problem. If you are golden, if you feel that your abilities are on par for how much time you have invested, then calling you a ā€œfailureā€ would be incorrect. If that is the case, I apologize and am a bit envious. Post a link so I can listen to your album.

BTW, Iā€™m not trying to drag you down, just discuss all the time I wasted on exercises in a hopes that you donā€™t fetishize practicing exercises the way I once did. Technique studied in the context of songs is technique that is remembered and used in the future.

this sort of shows where u r coming from. any of us could have asked the same from youā€¦but we didnt. Since you are the one touting some superior method, YOU should be the one offering proof of some superior skills.

btw, any blind monkey can have an album. again, you have proved nothing.

factually speaking, I have probably 15-20 complete demo songs online. By your ridiculous logic, I am already a ā€œsuccessā€.

Ill tell you the same thing I told someone at work recently. You (obviously) dont know anything about me.

Mr X, you might be able to stop a couple of people repeating your ā€˜mistakeā€™, but in the end everyoneā€™s going to make their own mistakes anyway.

It wasnā€™t a challenge. If you donā€™t have anything you want to share I think that kinda proves my point. Lets not use the word ā€œfailureā€ but how about ā€œin progressā€.

I put myself in this category and I aim to change that. Doing exercises without continually advancing my repertoire is the trap I fell into. Fetishizing technique under the guise of ā€œimprovisation practiceā€ is how I fooled myself.

I was going to start another thread about this, but might as well do it here. What level of player do you see yourself becoming?

Do you want to just be able to shread some 80s rock solos?

Or do you want to be the modern day equivalent of the ā€œGuitar Store Heroā€ playing bits and pieces of everything while you demo gear for views?

Or are you content to do some melodic instumental rock like Satriani or Jack Thammarat?

Or do you have greater demands of your technique like YJM, petrucci, Marco Sfogli, Andy James, Martin Miller, or any of the other new internet generation players?

I personally am looking at the latter category. Frankly, you really only need CTC for the last category, everything else can be accomplished with run of the mill technique.

Im starting to feel somewhat special here like this thread has turned into an internet classic lol!

Only five people are reading it.