Finger joint swelling, advice please

He’s just suspecting, but said if it gets worse then I have to go for a scan, but also, I do have a heart problem as well so I have to go in to hospital for a check up on that soon and I might try and get the scan while there under the guise of checking it’s not related to the heart problem, if that makes sense.

It could be! Many different heart related issues or co-morbidites like good ol’ betes can be a catalyst too.

Try implementing this when warming up, helps me with fretting tension and speed:

1 Like

Cool, thanks, this is great, I’ll try it for sure. I was thinking I must be putting too much pressure on my fingers and I know I don’t move them very efficiently, so this could help.

1 Like

Something to consider, at least for a while until symptoms resolve, is to ditch legato and just do picked notes. This might help fretting hand pain and overall tension.

2 Likes

Yeh, that’s an idea, but will be difficult when I am constantly trying to play Vai stuff. I could try it though, just concentrate on the picking for a month. I could also work on my Vai two finger tapping without having to do much left hand legato.

You could consider it a challenge to see how “Vai sounding” you can be without legato.

1 Like

I apply Kiko’s minimal effort approach to any type of a lick, and usually focus primarily on practicing legato with that approach - the focus is on the economy of movement, not the sound.
Another video which was very useful to me in that regard was this legato lesson by Tom Quayle:

What I do in the first part of my typical practice routine is apply Tom’s legato tips to Kiko’s minimal effort approach without a metronome at a super slow tempo just to warm up my fretting hand.

1 Like