Free live workshops with Andy Wood - this week at the Cracking the Code Studio!

how long do you guys think this next interview will be? wanna see it all but its midnight here

This one starting right now is more Q&A focused and I’d expect it’ll go no more than around an hour.

Oh, nice - I caught maybe the last 10 minutes of it. Thanks!

1 Like

I caught most of the first session and it was fantastic. I’m looking forward to the follow-on sessions and hope to see more like these in the future. Nice work CtC, you guys are absolutely killing it right now!

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks Alex! We’re excited to have this nice live setup up and running, definitely will aim to get some more on the calendar.

1 Like

Second live workshop with Andy…and we’re live! Watch here:

https://troygrady.com/live/

2 Likes

Another cool live stream guys! You lost broadcast in the middle of the Andy’s outro song. Otherwise, everything looked and sounded great.

Thanks for asking my question @Troy
:bear:

hi there… I’m brand new to the site. I saw some of the Molly Tuttle stuff today on youtube which was my first introduction to this site. Then I joined and watched some of the Andy Wood stuff today. Great stuff, Troy and all Cracking the Coders! Thank you! I look forward to making good use of the site.

1 Like

Thanks Hank glad you could make it. Sorry about the end, looks like we forgot to account for YouTube delay — there’s around a 30 second delay and I think we just turned it off on the live page on our site before waiting for it to catch up w/ that streaming delay. We still have it recorded though :slight_smile:

Hey thanks for joining, welcome! Great to hear you enjoyed the livestream w/ Andy as well as the Molly Tuttle material. Make yourself at home and let us know if you have any questions getting started.

1 Like

In just a few minutes we’ll be going live for our final session with Andy Wood, another “Talking the Code” Q&A for subscribers and interview download owners.

It’s been a great couple of days here with Andy in the Cracking the Code Studio — we’ve had a blast, learned a ton, and pulled off several consecutive live broadcasts with very few hiccups! Thanks to all who have tuned in. We hope to do many more of these in the coming months.

2 Likes

For Mandolin, I’ve just been learning songs in tab… but after asking Andy about fretboard visualization I really tried to figure out the positions.

I just realized that the Mandolin is a mirror image of the bottom four strings on guitar. EADG on guitar, and GDAE on Mandolin, so all the arpeggio patterns are the same as guitar just upside down.

That’s pretty mind bending…

2 Likes

@Troy , @Brendan :

Couldn’t make the live subscriber Q&A sessions. Any chance of putting the raw footage up until you get the fancy versions edited?

1 Like

Very much enjoyed what I caught of both of these. Will watch the subscriber ones when they’re edited (I tried staying up for last nights one, but after 6 hours of teaching I was too in need of sleep! Haha!)
Hope the live streams become a regular thing, they’re a lot of fun (Get Mr @milehighshred in for one!)

1 Like

In the Mandolin interview Andy mentions Blue Chips for his picking choice- I was wondering what model he used. I like my picks big and thick (I currently use Dragon Heart Picks- the hardened and the original), so I was wondering about picking one up.

For Mandolin, he uses the CT55 ( CT for Chris Thile )

For guitar he uses, a custom pick they make for him which is similar to a Jazz LG, but a little smaller, and with 6 holes drilled in it, and it is also 55 width. If you order a Jazz LG 60 on the website, but in the comment, ask for the “Andy Wood 55” pick, they will send you that,

55 works out to be 1.4 mm

1 Like

$35? WTF are those picks made of? What’s the material?

Sure we can look at getting these up on the platform next week. For now — the two public workshops are up on YouTube (our two most recent videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/troygrady

And for any Masters in Mechanics subscribers who’d like to watch the additional Q&A sessions with Andy now, just PM me and I’ll send you the unlisted YouTube links. (Sending your way now @Frylock!)

1 Like

Aerospace polymide… a 5 inch by 5 inch by 0.5 inch sheet sells for almost $1700

The picks don’t wear out, so if you can keep from losing them, you will make out in the end.

1 Like

Got it! Thanks! Bring on the pendulum of death!

So much of the philosophical stuff in the acoustic Q&A is resonating. Especially re: the drawbacks of the widely repeated “popular wisdom” about stoic rote repetition practice. I probably wouldn’t have learned about Andy if it weren’t for Cracking the Code, but he seems like a great dude.

And continuing a theme from one of the free youtube sessions: this is high quality video of an engaging and informative conversation between two world-class guitar experts, that I can discover and watch in the comfort of my home, on my own schedule, without having to guess from a little classified ad in the back of a guitar magazine whether it would be worth mailing away for or not. Great stuff.

Edit: Still wondering where the flying cars are, though.

Re-edit: Though I just remembered that if the scheduling had worked a little better for me, I could have asked questions while the event was going on. In fact, while I guess it didn’t get used this time around, you even had the option available for viewers to potentially express their questions over video, with guitar in hand, and get feedback in realtime. We’re living in the fuuuuutuuuure!..

2 Likes