Gabrielthorn 3nps scale playing

@Troy As my escape motion is DSX and I’m using my elbow as you’ve pointed out on my pentatonic lick video, I’m wondering what I’m doing here with playing scales is correct or not. Sorry for the quality, I only have my webcam at the moment for recording. I also included 2 slow motion versions, one with distorted audio but the speed may not be slow enough so I’ve done a super slow motion version with no audio at all too (apologies for the watermark on the video).

On the ascending runs I’m sure I’m doing swiping after every 6 notes. On the descending ones I think I usually get around the string after the upstroke, more cleanly. I think my ascending version is number 3, but not sure about it, and I have no clue about the descending one.

Normal speed

Slow motion

Super slow motion

Thank you for checking it and for any comments.

3 Likes

Hey Gabriel,

Moved it here to avoid derailing the general topic on 3nps scale playing.

In any case this sounds good to me - and what sounds good is good!

Upon a quick look you don’t appear to use elbow exclusively, at the very least there may be some wrist and / or forearm action to assist you in the upstroke string changes. I think it’s working great so I see no reason to change it - unless you feel discomfort!

1 Like

No worries Tommo. Doing the ascending version feels a little uncomfortable but if I forget about the swipes and just “let it happen”, it’s okay. The descending part feels very comfortable.

I’m in the same boat :slight_smile:

I came to the conclusion that good rhythm and good sync takes priority over “avoiding swipes”.

1 Like

I feel less and less alone here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you practicing these in looping reps (bottom to top then back down, repeat without stopping) at all? Also, do you practice 16th note scales as well, or just sextuplets?

Well, I’ve deleted my post, but to answer your questions: I’ve practiced this in loops, both 16th notes and 6s from bottom to top and back, but nowadays I’m only practicing to play songs.

I’m thinking about doing my first practicing stream, if anyone would be interested.

P.s.: is there a point doing this in reps at 140bpm 6s or 200+ 16th notes in a musical context? After my band rehearsals, there’s only one scenario for this: playing in Dream Theater.

1 Like

I’d catch that if I’m available!

As far as “practice this to play it within the context of a song”, not really. BUT, it’s probably my favorite practice pattern / concept for a few reasons:

1. It’s 3nps without repeated strings (forces double escape at the smallest amount of “time per string”, since 2nps is single escape and 1nps is crosspicking).
  2. Goes across the neck. There’s a good amount of players that are comfortable with the top 3 strings or so, but struggle with the bottom 3 for various reasons.
  3. Looping it highlights issues with players able to ascend scales quickly, but difficulty descending.

Probably forgetting a few reasons, but with just those in mind, it’s my favorite thing to bust out. I don’t play guitar that often and don’t really practice (other than the streams), so having something I can mindlessly practice that hits those wickets has helped keep my technique up when I only pick up the guitar for a few minutes. Developing speed, comfort, and endurance with it has helped me play things that people consider pretty hard. Both the Erotomania riff and the Shawn Lane one that I worked on felt doable when compared to trying to loop a fast 3nps scale, low E to high E for multiple reps.

1 Like