"Glass Prison"-arpeggios at 125-130bpm...and my 2cts on what to do when crosspicking is a nightmare

No, 2-way escape means that the tip of the pick rises above the plane of the strings on both up and down strokes.

1 Like

Yeah, I understand the difference, but @NTC is stating that 2 way escape is impossible with the glass prison arps - but 2 way escape is perfect for 1NPS. Just making sure he wrote what he meant to. :laughing:

1 Like

Two way escape picking means that the escape can happen from either direction using a curved motion, whereas two way slanting allows an escape from a single direction and is linear not curved in motion. As such, the notes picked on the high E string in this arpeggio example are linear.

How can it be 2wps if it’s 1nps?

I’ve never seen a footage where he alternate picked this, and for me the ascending portions of the groupings sound like sweeping on the album version. Who knows, he was a monster during the early 2000’s, maybe he could do that in a studio environment back then. I’ll never feel ashamed playing my sloppy version with sweeps :sweat_smile:

I dunno, makes no sense to me either (post is in 2019 so couldn’t remember anyhow!), considering that I was talking about crosspicking at the time… maybe I got confused.

Confused… So double escape is different than 2 way pickslanting which is different from crosspicking?

I think I suck at all 3 of them at the same time over here… Close to an "Aha" Moment with Crosspicking... Maybe lol

Thanks for the posts on this topic, guys. Lots to think about.

1 Like

Well the term 2WPS doesn’t mean what it used to… does it? As in was replaced by ‘mixed’ escapes, bit is still valid in an economy picking scenario? Crosspicking was replaced by double escapes (DBX) as crosspicking was already heavily associated with type of music rather than mechanics…I need another drink…

the thing i notice the most is not having the fretting hand thumb behind the neck to be able to push on to allow for the fingers to relax and stretch out your thumb is constantly moving you want to use that as leverage to allow the hand to relax. this should help the fingers come up to speed a fraction more.

i understand that the way you position your thumb is good for bending. but when you are doing fast passages and arps you need that support.