Guitar Solo Covers You Think are Better than the Originals

This could potentially be interesting. I am curious if you guys have found any covers of solos that you think sound better than the originals. Here’s a cover of Cameron Cooper covering the SATO solo by Randy Rhoads; the vibrato is absolutely killer and I think the phrasing sounds more polished and aggressive compared to the original. That might be sacrilege but I think it sounds better. Here’s the video:

Children of Bodom’s cover of Danger Zone.

Primal Fear’s cover of Heart’s “If Looks Could Kill”

Probably the first thing that comes to mind. Prince on “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”

It sounds amazing but there are zillions of technical monsters all over the Internet that can crush RR in terms of technique in 2024. But, go back to 1981, consider that RR wrote it, and then the winner is totally clear, at least in my mind.

Better than this? :thinking:

2 Likes

This thread/post

had this amazing solo

It is pretty incredible considering how great the original is. Subjective, I know, but I like the cover more.

I’m sure I can come up with quite of few but the one that comes to mind first is Stevie Ray Vaughn’s version of Little Wing on The Sky is Crying. He really made it his own.

4 Likes

No doubt Malmsteen’s version seems more technically challenging, and it might be sacrilege to say Prince’s solo for Harrison’s song is better than Clapton’s solo and licks (both arrangements fantastic IMHO), but I prefer Prince’s solo with Clapton’s a very close second. Prince really stepped up to the plate and delivered in his tribute to George, and so did Eric in the release with him.