Holy Wars first Marty electric solo

trying to improve both my sweep motion and clean up that crazy end lick.

any tips? anyone done this already?

I’ve always felt really uneven on ascending sweep motion. Getting better! Learning Marty forces me to use USX but I see here that I’m in DSX most of the time still.

USX feels awkward. Sometimes I feel elbow motion - Isn’t that what you were dealing with @joebegly ?

3 Likes

Yes, I think my issue was that elbow was my mechanic and I was trying to play USX compatible phrases.

1 Like

post content removed

2 Likes

excellent. really helpful, @Insanefury

how do you do that final lick in this part?

Are you taking about the Gm pentatonic lick at the end of this solo that ends with a dramatic bend?

yes - it has almost a country-ish ending it sounds like to me. I play it sloppily in that video. this transcription is really helpful. thank you!!!

1 Like

I can transcribe the notes for you, but the rhythm is above my skill level so you’ll have to work out the timing yourself. Give me a few… my grand kids are running around like crazies here!

1 Like

no no no - I think I got it. I just need to buckle down.

this sweeping part is SUPER helpful.

1 Like

interesting — I switch directions one note later than you. This way is very symmetrical ---- all the ascending sweeps start on a downstroke. I include the last B in the first measure as an upstroke probably because I am such DSX/pronator. same wit hteh D on the second beat of measure 2.

really helpful, man. biggest help is that upstroke on the highest note. I was hammering. The stroke give me a chance to change directions. muchos gracias, amigo!

1 Like

post content removed

1 Like

egad. thank you!!!

1 Like

a ha! I did have one extra note in there! (and in the triplet part of the sweep section.)

1 Like

improvement!

thanks, @Insanefury

3 Likes

Nice, that’s a huge improvement! Well done! The only critique from me that stands out now is to make sure those bends are the right intonation. :+1:

1 Like

ah - yes, that first one is a little flat here, isn’t it?

It’s difficult for me to put into words exactly what’s needed to play them as Marty did. What I’d do, now that you have a good grasp of the solo’s structure, is to play along with an isolated track at 50%-75% speed and really focus on nailing the pitches, and how Marty articulates each bend. He’s not doing anything crazy, but each one has it’s own unique character. It shouldn’t take long to absorb once you figure out exactly what he’s doing.

1 Like

good idea. thanks, again!!

1 Like

Meant to say this in the first video too, but I dig your tone!

1 Like

ah! thank you! That Les Paul sounds really good and so does the MESA Mark V combo BUT I believe the thing that really makes it sound better is the speaker in it. I replaced the stock Celestion C-90 with an 80watt Austin Speaker Works version of a G12H30.

I love their speakers. I don’t like dealing with them much. I’ve lived here 20 years and dreaded taking speakers to them for repair. when I started reading great reviews of their in-house speakers, I was loathe to try them. I bought this one used. It’s great and made the combo sound more like a half stack!

1 Like

Lol it’s a Mark V? What mode are you on? No wonder I like it!