I have buy the Magnet but i have a huge problem, can you help me?

Hello people of Cracking the Code.
I’m from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Like 2 month ago i have order and buy the Magnet and i have it right now with me, like everybody that has one knows, it only came the 3D printed magnet but no screws, rods and etc, wich i think was no big deal but it was… i read that the buyer should buy all the other parts to assemble it in a local store of each one’s country, but i have gone to several and big ones of my country and nobody has the rods, screws and everything else to arm and assemble the Magnet. So i want to ask for help and i want to know if anybody can be so gently to put the links in a online shop to buy the specific and every each part (screws, rods, etc) that i need to finish the assemble and use the product that i have buy. I will be very grateful, i try my best for the english language so i hope that i make my point and you can understand me. Thank you very much and i wait for your answer!.

1 Like

It was really hard for me to get the exact same parts, because I couldn’t order them online. But if you go to your local hardware store and explain to some guy there what your actual problem is, they’ll most likely be able to suggest a solution to you. All the stuff you need, or some functional equivalent, should be widely available.

The best would probably be to just bring the blueprints and ask general questions like “I need something to connect these things together” or “I need something to put on the end here, so my guitar doesn’t get scratched”. Then they’re free to use their own imagination to find a solution that might work just as well as the one Troy picked for his builds.

For me, IIRC, the springs was the hardest part. I ended up buying a kit full of various small springs. The kit was really cheap and in the end none of the springs were a good match. I ended up stacking several springs to get the required tension. This hack of a solution ended up working perfectly :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have tried what you suggest and explain to the person of the local store but he didn’t figure out how to do it besides that don’t have the elements needed for the assemble, that’s why i am looking for the screws and everything else that people can tell me where to buy it in U.S.A or outside it. I need the links for every screw and rod so i can be more calm that i am buying anything that i need to assemble the magnet.

Maybe this helps:

1 Like

I have some leftover plastic rod & screws. I can mail them to you. DM me your address.

1 Like

People i have good news, i have found everything in McMaster except the RODS that i mark in color in the photo, so i will order everything that i found, now about the rods where can i found them? thank you for your time

Check my last update please, if you have the Rods that i need or where to find them let me know and i will send you my mail, i appreciate your help, thank you!.

Thank you Mmason, i have read your Assembly Cheats, but like i say recently i have found everything i need except the 2 Rods that i’m still looking for. If you know where to find it in a webpage of machine shop let me know please. Thank you!.

I used the updated/alternate version with hollow plastic tube in lieu of threaded metal rods. Got it from McMaster also.

Hi joshuaskaja,

I’ve got the same issue with the magnet. Can you please confirm if the plastic tubes you are referring to are the DELRIN Acetal Resin Tubes from McMaster-Carr?

Thanks
Andrew

Thank you!, i have order everything including the hollow plastic tube and i’m waiting for it. Now how i drill the holes for the screws? directly screwing the screws on it? that will do?..

Yes, these guys: https://www.mcmaster.com/#8627K119

1 Like

Yes, you screw directly into the plastic. It’s a little frustrating to get working, but it definitely works.

I really can’t believe my lack of lucky, after tell me that they will send me all my order of stuff now the McMaster site send me this email where they say that they have to cancel my order because some cost of regulations that i don’t get it anyway. Anybody please can give me a hand about this. Can someone make the order and send it to me and i will pay you all the cost of it? again i’m from Buenos Aires, Argentina and i don’t have a way to make them send me all the material i need, if anyone will be so kind of send it to me i will be very grateful and pay all of it. i will send every single thing that i order to them so you will know what i meant to buy. Thank you very much.

This is the mail they send me…

Yeah McMaster has everything and is great if they’ll ship to you…but unfortunately a lot more limited for international customers, I think they’ll only ship outside the US to large/existing accounts. I don’t know of other companies with quite the breadth of selection McMaster offers but imagine there are others that will at least ship internationally. Grainger (https://www.grainger.com/) is one example though not sure if they have everything.

See my reply here as well:

Sounds like there may be certain shipping forwarding services that help with this situation, where you can order to a local address and they ship to you internationally. I can’t vouch for any in particular though.

Your best bet will probably be finding parts locally if possible. Keep in mind they don’t have to be exactly the same as specified in the instructions, just close enough that they all fit together. A small local hardware store may not have enough selection to find all the parts, but perhaps a big more industrial hardware store would.

Screws should be easy to find, springs may be tricky but if you can get in the ballpark may be good enough. For the rods, will definitely be easiest if you can find a hollow plastic one since you can screw in the screws directly. Otherwise you’d have to get the holes tapped (we’ve done this in the past, first by a metal shop and also on our own with plastic rods + a drill press, but it’s a pain!)

Or if you can find a service (or someone here!) who can help with the order and forward it on to you, that’s even better!