Interference noise from PC

Welcome to the forum @MikisGtr!

Headphones.

The guitar cables I’ve tried so far are cheap, basic brands from Thomann, I don’t know very much about them in fact! By power outlets you mean wall sockets? No, in my kitchen test the cable ran straight from the guitar’s output towards the interface. Moving cables near power sources or sockets doesn’t change the noise.

My room ceiling light is a LED, but it’s off during testing. There are gaming-style RGB LEDs in my processor fan, RAM sticks and GPU. Some tiny single-color strips on the motherboard itself. I can’t switch those off, unfortunately. I recently added two more identical RAM sticks though and the noise did not get any worse at least.

Was your noise also radiating from the PC tower so that it disappeared when you moved the guitar further away? Was it the same kind of noise as in my clips, with the high pitched whining or frying sound that appears or intensifies while USB gets accessed? If so, what type of suppressor was that?

This leads me to think it’s not the same noise. I disconnected my HDDs to test this, because I thought the noise was coming from HDD activity, but that did nothing. Now it’s looking more like it’s USB activity that causes it to radiate from the motherboard.

It doesn’t happen with actives for you? Mine happens with actives and passives, but not with piezo.

Do you have a metal enclosure on your PC? Is it grounded correctly? Do you have metal screen over the fans? Are there any big holes in it that are empty or filled with plastic? Can you post a photo of it?

Sounds like a grounding issue. Maybe your guitar isn’t grounded or has some electro magnetic interference inside the cavity. Also, your wall socket may need to get replaced or just a line conditioner or maybe a good noise gate. Hope this helps.

I never used headphones when I had the problem so I can’t tell you if the same problem occured on headphones. For my speakers I used a cheap Behringer HD400 Hum Destroyer between Interface and speakers. But I don’t think it works the same for Headphones.

That rules out badly shielded instrument cables. :+1:

Yes, it was the same noise and got less the further away I moved from my computer. Everytime I used my mousewheel or clicked the high pitched noise would get get really loud. When you hold your wireless mouse really close to your pickups does the noise gets louder? It might not be the main cause of the noise but can add to your problem. You can also try if touching any metal parts of the Interface while not touching the guitar helps in any form since the SSL 2+ can’t be grounded through a separate wall socket there might be a groundloop.

For me with active pickups it’s in a negligible amount that isn’t audible in recordings. With passives it’s way worse. It makes sense that it doesn’t happen with a piezo since the piezo works through mechanical stress and not induction like regular pickups and wouldn’t pick up any electromagnetical interference.

It’s probably a grounding issue of some kind, so a grounded wall socket and a power conditioner could help.

1 Like