I've lost my love for guitar(?) Help

One of the things that could help is maybe understand the process the “pros” go through with writing material, from what I understand eddie and malcolm are famous for recording everything they played and kept a bank of these tapes to put together tracks form shards within them. It’s a process from what I understand. And I very successful business man once told me his success rate was 4%. I suppose there’s a lesson in there somewhere.

Today being sunday, I played for hours jamming to black star on my LP type with 11s, I enjoyed every moment even though I have lost all my calluses, I feel stupid for not playing all these months. Worked out the head and pivotal points, such a fun track to vamp off. Some pain, but it felt good to be playing again, had a few great moments and that’s all that matters.

I think it’s very important to have a buddy to bounce and share with, go play backing riffs with more experience players if that’s what will make you comfortable. Fear is the mind killer, to be honest I missed out on playing live for the same reasons and I regret it.

I think that’s 99.9% true. I studied composition (classically) in college and my understanding of the greats is that were constantly writing. Not everything made the cut, and they often heavily tweaked what they started with. There are always going to be exceptions, Mozart comes to mind. He allegedly had it all in his head and just wrote his scores out something like most of us would craft a letter (email??? Like anyone writes anymore lol).

Back when I was in a band, our rhythm guitarist/lead singer was the main writer. None of us could match his output. We’d still be working on one song that the rest of us worked on together for a month and he’d come in with a demo of like 12 mostly sketched out tunes. At the very least, buckets full of riffs. He was no Mozart, but he wrote some great stuff. Compared to his output, I’d say about 10% of what he showed up with ended up making it to our pro recording sessions. What I learned from him was to not get overly attached to what we’re writing, because there will always be (orshould always be) something else in the pipeline.

1 Like

Very true Joe, I think the important thing is to record a lot more than perhaps we do. I like the idea of not getting attached, I’ve done it and gotten stuck, thanks for that advice!

1 Like

That’s a great lesson that I am still trying to learn. Every time I want to record something I feel like it needs to be great, otherwise why bother?

That has resulted in a huge folder with riffs and small sections that I never developed into anything. Maybe one day :laughing:

1 Like

Feeling Good. Paperback book by David Burns. He is a master psychologist. Consider buying and reading it.

Try branching out and picking up another instrument. I started trying to teach myself pedal steel during the pandemic and it was such a humbling experience that when I go back to guitar I am content with my skill level because starting from absolute novice on another instrument, and a very challenging one at that, makes it all seem relative and you appreciate the grind it took to get to your skill level on your primary instrument.

Music isn’t a sport/competition.
Playing the “I’m not as good as x player, x lofty ambition” game will suck all the fun out of it. I’ve been there and it’s horrible. The most important part is are YOU having fun doing it, does it bring enjoyment to you and those around you. If it doesn’t then a deep reflection on why you started playing and what you get from it is in order.

I highly recommend the book “Zen Guitar” by Philip Toshio Sudo.

When I get discouraged with my playing I try and think back to being the 14 year old kid ecstatic cause he taught himself to play the riff to Metallica’s “One” on a cheap acoustic guitar and then a bunch of other Metallica riffs out of tab books that I now know had so many errors it’s a wonder I learned to play any of those riffs.

Ive always felt that you have to learn the theory then train the hands which is technique. I am no expert at either but the back and forth between the two keeps me busy. Over the years I have advanced to the point of playing things I never dreamed Id be playing when younger and that keeps on going, I end up pursuing Blackmore, Malmsteen Vai etc styles anything thats challenging… go for it anything that makes you say “ill neve rbe able to play like that” go for it.It needs to be constantly challenging for me.

1 Like