Jake E. Lee, Bark @ the Moon, pre chorus, 16th note riffs

Put a video of you playing it up.

This one is cool

FYI if you paste the youtube link on its own line, the forum will embed it for easiest playing. Just make sure there are no spaces or other text on the same line. I just edited that. No biggie, just an FYI. Thx.

2 Likes

I don’t know if that’s true, and if I said that, I apologize! It might be true. I’m just not sure if it is or isn’t.

However this type of phrase is indeed a classic “dwps” phrase, especially with a wrist/forearm motion, because of the muting. Ths is basically Doug Aldrich’s forte, and why he’s a great fit for the Whitesnake tunes that have this type of phrase in it:

4 Likes

I think this Bark at the Moon lick is perfect for Troy’s new video Don’t “Work Up” to Picking Speed – Start with It! Put the lick on a loop “up to speed” (147 bpm) and go for it! I try to focus on the right hand picking and let the left hand fall into place. Good luck and have fun!

2 Likes

I’m a primary DSX’er - I’m great with this…over the moon. I’m working on USX currently and really struggling with it…for months - specifically on the E and A strings.

My question is…has anyone been able to pull off the ‘Bark at the Moon’ riff with DSX? The pedal point technique involved has a lot of creative possibilities…it just seems it would work more naturally with USX.

1 Like

Hey @Thegent, I found a bunch of references to Bark at the Moon in past forum posts, hope you find something useful in them!

Let me know if it makes sense to merge your post in one of these threads, or if the issue is better addressed in its own thread. In any case, a short tab or clip of the section you are interested in could be helpful - I typically enjoy these types of challeneges (finding alternative picking patterns etc.) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh man, that run still gets me, and how my attitude towards CTC has changed!

@Thegent are you talking about the main riff, with the A pedal point?

Yes, the first thread would to merge in, thanks.

Yes, the main riff with pedal point on the A string.

I’m using the riff as a tool to get my USX happening as I’m having string tracking issues on the bass side with USX specifically.

I’m interested to know if anyone has gotten this riff sounding and feeling good with DSX? Mine sounds and feels a little too swipy for my liking.

I might be wrong, but here’s what it sounds like to me.

The first time Jake plays the pre-chorus, it’s
-------4-4------2-2------5-5------2-2
–2-2------2-2------2-2------2-2-----

The second time, it’s:
------------------------------------------------
------------------------------5-5--------------
------------------------------2-2--------------
------------------------------2-2--------------
-------5-5------4-4-----------------5-5-----
–2-2------2-2------2-2------2-2------2-2

The second is like Jimmy Page style, aiming for the sound you want loosely, and a few other strings in there is OK. Takeaway #1.

Takeaway #2 is that they didn’t copy’n’paste from the first one. It’s better played again with a slight variation, as Jake does it.

1 Like

Bark at the Moon in general is like a white whale for me as a DSX player. I feel like I would be where I need to be as a guitarist if I could play the whole song accurately.

2 Likes

Totally this. I’m a DSX’er that has an USX working…except for some string tracking issues on A and E…so the main riff is my mountain for sure.

Funny thing… I started this thread thinking, I’m probably one of few who struggle with this riff…lol I dont feel too bad now…

These dbl picking riffs are tough!!

Why are they tough? This is not a fundamental but important question. What exactly is giving you the issue.

I’m not saying I haven’t or still don’t struggle with it; but it’s important you ask yourself.

I basically struggle to tremolo on the E and A using USX. I can tremolo from 1st to 3rd (USX)…4th is hit and miss. I can tremolo on all strings using DSX so I know how it feels musically. Bark at the Moon is a fun musical riff that I go back to every now and then to test if I’ve found my footing with USX bass string tracking.

Also…the song is so fun…makes me smile everytime.

Correction: This is a fundamental but important question.

You said that it’s harder tremolo on the E and A and use USX. Is it just tremolo or is it double picking, or is it any fast picking? What if you had:—

-------2-3------3-4------4-5--------4-3–𝄇
–2-5------2-5------2-5------2-5---------𝄇

— does the added LH complexity make the right hand any easier? Obviously not, right?

The problems I noticed when playing on the low strings are that when I palm mute, it flattens the hand, removing wrist flexion.

Is your wrist at the same angle on the high strings as it is on the low strings? Or is there a difference? And if there is a difference, how does it affect your USX on the lower strings?

It could also be the thickness of the strings.

Good questions. My wrist does end up more radial. I think I lose my anchor point too. It’s weird…every once in a while I get it then lose it soon after. I’m waiting for it to click…but it’s been a while now. I’m going to get a video together and post it in technique critique soon.

Id love to see a video because I feel trying to tremolo pick on the low E for me is difficult as well. On the other strings, I generally have to pronate and use downward escape to do it well. Although lately I haven’t been tremolo picking well so hopefully that just means my brain is working on creating new connections.

1 Like

My home motion is a pronated DSX too. I’ll to get a video uploaded by next weekend…my week is tight timewise for setting up to film…when I have a magnet however…