Jason Sulliman on starting with (not working up to) 'fast'

This guy’s approach to working on fast licks is SO much like what’s promoted here on CTC. In fact, Troy gets a shout-out on the bulletproofmusician piece where I found the following link to Sulliman demonstrating the technique:

[~15 min long]

He’s got a doctorate in music pedagogy plus he’s working on a degree in keinisiology (sp?) - in other words, the man is made to explain this stuff. One of the best vids I’ve ever seen on practice. Enjoy:)

(I should add that Noa at bulletproof has an hour-long interview with Sulliman. Haven’t listened yet, but it’s gotta’ be good.)

10 Likes

This is awesome. I wish there was more stuff like this where accomplished players would show us the process, not just the final product.

1 Like

This is brilliant. I’d love to see Troy doing something similar.

I really found that video interesting.
He plays the trombone, so his context involves limited breath length, which makes slower speed totally different, i.e. you cannot blow 8 notes at 40 bpm 16th the same way you blow them at 125 bpm 16th.

The context surely is different on guitar (picking motions), but I will definitely try to adapt it.

The key take away point for me is when he talks about the fact you can’t guarantee the slow and fast motions will be the same - the slow motions may not function at higher speeds…