JP trying to learn

ok so I haven’t been able to practice much due to bad carpal tunnel lately. I am getting some relief now thanks to @Prlgmnr tip . So I’ve been able to get in there. I’m trying to focus on upward escape. It’s still difficult for me at the moment, but I think I’m getting closer to the correct motion. Any critique or encouragement welcomed.

Oh I made a real shitty magnet out of plywood you can see at the end of the video @Troy it works but falls off my guitar constantly. Because it’s not the real deal.

1 Like

Looks like a good basis for upstroke escape playing to me!

Next step could be to work on some musical examples that use the technique with various tempos and rhythms. @ASTN posted a cool one recently:

Bonus points for building a functional makeshift magnet :smiley:

PS: once in a while, as a sort of sanity check, make sure you try the technique at tempos that are significantly faster than your “string hopping speed”. 140bpm 16th notes (and above) is usually a good ballpark figure for most players.

I have a related question I guess. On chunking, I get the idea of it and it makes sense, I sometimes think my brain isn’t getting it though. Is there any kind of exercise or video on how it or am I over thinking it?

How do you mean, exactly?

Chunking is explained in this one at least. It might also be on the Youtube channel as a clip, not sure.

Honestly I wouldn’t know how to explain it, I guess it’s possible I have such a bad habit from always warming up with 1-2-3-4( the first thing I was ever taught) I can’t really break it. Even when I try to chunk I catch myself still counting all my notes, starts in my subconscious and then spills out. I’m not a moron, really… I just know chunking isn’t working at all for me and I don’t know why. I can’t figure it out.

What problem occurs when you try it, do you lose hand sync?

Can you post a clip of what happens when you just go for it? Some people here might be able to spot something that happens in your arm position or motion path, or anywhere else in the chain.

It’s probably related to the issue I have with why I can’t sing and play at the same time… I figured out that in my head I’m humming the notes I’m playing. Anything I play 1-2-3-4. 1-3-4 or even playing songs like master of puppets or whatever. I’m humming every note/chord in my head. And if I’m not humming it I’m saying the notes or chords in my head while I play them. I can’t stop. So if I do 1-2-4-1-2-4 as a chunk I’ll just go “one-hm-hm-hm-hm-hm”. So as you can imagine, I’m not really chunking at all. And my speed is topped out at 95bpm or whatever I’m at. I may actually be a moron after all. I don’t know. I am feeling improvements. I also know these things take time. I just need more patience. But at the same time I’m trying to be active on here to keep my momentum going. Sorry.

No need to apologize. I’m pretty sure you can train yourself out of all that stuff you mentioned, unless it’s some very rare condition which wouldn’t be wise to assume hastily.

What happens if you sing a familiar song while just strumming the chords to it?

There is a mental ‘letting go’ that happens once you get into faster (i.e. 16ths at 140bpm-ish). You can’t control every note…just the chunk. It took me some time to get there. I was also used to hearing (or humming) everynote. I suspect it’s tied to audiation…a good think to play melodically (i.e. music you can hum comfortably).

1 Like

@Shredd if I don’t hum the song I’m playing I won’t be able to play. If I’m playing then I’m humming, so if I hum a different tune I just can’t play at all. I can’t even play nirvana and sing and that’s insanely basic. It’s really crazy. I only discovered this a few years ago, and I’ve been playing for 23 years. I guess I never thought about it really.

It’s hard to say anything definitive, but unless you’ve already done this, I’d recommend getting in touch with a music educator and try doing some ear training with them. Meaning learning to identify, sing and write intervals, chords and so on. Like @Thegent said, audiation. It really helps in comprehending music and developing a sense of structure for rhythmic figures and intervals.

I’m just guessing in the end, but I think it could help you out. From experience I could describe that with ear training, elements of music appear sharper and more autonomous in one’s mental picture, which would probably fit your situation.

Either way this is something you can very likely work out one way or another!

Ok awesome. I’ll be looking into that. Thank yo u guys.

I think we all hum or sing along inside our heads when we play generally, but I think that if you are still able to count notes then the music is not fast enough to put it into chunking territory. When the music is too slow, we can easily micro-manage and get away with inefficient movements.

You could try playing the chromatic lines with legato - only picking on the first note on each string (the pulse). Crank up the speed so that the pulse is going by pretty quick. Don’t worry if notes inbetween the pulse are a bit dodgy- just make sure that a) the pulses are in time and b) you play all the inbetween notes in the right order- regardless of how in time they are.

Once you you get that going you can then pay attention to the timing of the in between notes. Once legato is all good, you might find the picking is easy to re-introduce without the need to count anything other than the pulse

1 Like

Great advice. I appreciate it @PickingApprentice