My picking style...sort of like early Vinnie Moore

Hello everyone. I thought I would share a clip of my picking motion. Which I think is sort of similar to Vinnie Moore’s around the Minds Eye era. I saw him at a clinic in 87 and noticed he picked more from the elbow when he was playing faster also. I stay real relaxed and just sort of let my arm float. I think I am more like Jorge Strunz as far as string crossing goes. I think I swipe a lot, but am not really sure, lol. I think I am more of an upward pick slanter or maybe more of a neutral one. Anyway…i thought I would share it with everyone on here. Thanks for the great site Troy and everyone involved. I love it! You are all my kind of people! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Sounds awesome Bill! Your name sounds familiar…were you in one of Varney’s Hometown Heroes columns back in the 90’s?

2 Likes

@Bill_hall Awesome Bill!

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, I was in Guitar World’s Hometown Heroes back in the 90s (yes, I am old, lol). I am planning on buying a magnet soon and recording some stuff to see which way I slant the pick. I can’t really tell when I am playing. I never thought about it, but in the last year or so since I stumbled on to Troy’s amazing work on the subject I have been really fascinated by the whole concept. It is weird I never really thought about it prior…I sort of just did what felt natural. I did notice that when I play the Paul Gilbert lick without any left hand muting I can here the second string wring out a bit when crossing from the first string to the second…so that leads me to believe that I am using more of an upwards picking slant. Here is another clip with a better ange on my right hand. I am sort of playing the same things over and over…I was going to edit the clip down to a minute, but just posted the whole thing on YouTube. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nice picking technique! Are you an acoustic only player?

1 Like

Thank you! I have only really been playing acoustic for a few years. I had always been an electric player up until then. I play both now.

1 Like

Great playing Bill! Indeed your setup looks like Vinnie. Elbow movement with what I call a “radial offset”, i.e. the hockey-stick-like bend in your wrist when you lock into high speed mode. This is a common setup in upward pickslanting, and you’ll see the same wrist orientation if you check out David Grier, Molly Tuttle, and Terry Syrek for example. So odds are you’re upward pickslanting with some swiping on the descending side, as you’ve already guessed.

Either way, that’s all academic because it sounds great! Your hand synchronization is on point, the lines are cool, what more does anyone want.

We’d love to sell you one but we haven’t actually mass produced them yet - we 3d print the parts and assemble them by hand. You can do the same thing, we’ve got instructions in our store. Down the line we’d love to get that going more officially.

3 Likes

Thank you, Troy! I really appreciate the feedback! I think that is pretty much how my mechanics are…just like you described. It is hard to tell sometimes when I am playing, but I was looking and my pick is slightly slanted upwards. I am going to check out the magnet instructions in your store. I think it would be fun to record some stuff and see what it looks like. Thanks a lot for all the work you and your crew do, Troy! I am really enjoying everything on here so much. It is so much fun to watch and play along to everything…very inspiring! You are a super great player and a great teacher also. I am loving the forum also…reading all the posts from every one. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone on here! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would be singing with ya:

Oh, Sweet child in time…
You’ll see the line
The line that’s drawn between
Good and bad
See the blind man
Shooting at the world
Bullets flying
Ohh they’re taking toll…

I know it’s Purple, but my boy Marcus rips that s*** up. Not quite the same key, but hey it works. lol. :bear:

1 Like

Awesome picking man!

I liked to pick that way acoustic to but on electric it did not seem to work for me. I feel it works better on acoustic because of the the bigger stringspacing. Also with distortion on the electric i could not control the noise from open string with this technique. Don’t you have any problems with that?

2 Likes

Thank you, Andjoy! I have never had any problems with noise or open strings ringing out. The electric is what I learned to pick on and didn’t really try it on the acoustic until a couple of years ago. When I am picking I never feel that I am hitting any other strings than the string I am picking…on either the electric or the acoustic. I do use a lot of left hand muting though…so that seems to stop any strings from ringing if I did bump into one while I am picking. I have always made sure that I try to get the clearest tone when I am playing lines like that and sort of just tweaked my movements until I heard the tone of the lines I wanted. When I get a chance maybe I will make a video of me picking on my electric.

1 Like

Here is a clip of me picking with a little different camera angle.

6 Likes

Awesome!p Bill! Sounds super clean!

The big advantage this way of picking has ( in my opinion), is that the pick always has the same angle on every string. Also it is easier to keep things in time.
Maybe i should go back to this technique and work on it more to get it right on the electric to.

Would be wesome if you could post a vid of youreself playing on the electric with distortion using this technique.would/could you do this please?

2 Likes

Wow, that’s impressing.
I think there’s few players with that range of articulation on nylon strings using a pick.
Do you have a video without reverb, jsut using a microphone with no effects?
I’m just curious how this sounds totally clean.
Great playing anyways!

1 Like

Thank again! Yes. I will record some stuff on my electric with some gain. I just need to get my amp somewhere where I can crank it, lol. I will work on that for you!

1 Like

Stellar picking! Sweet tone also…

1 Like

Great playing, Bill! You’re very good!

I have one question. When you’re playing a lick, say a descending line of notes and you have to make an outside string change from suppose the second string to the third, how do you do that without using the wrist?

It seems to me that with elbow only, if you play a note with an upstroke on the second string and the next note is a downstroke on the third string, without turning the wrist or rotating the forearm, the pick would just slam into the near side of the third string before it has a chance to go over that string (or clear the string) so that you are then in position for the downstroke on the third string. So, how do you clear the third string in that example, without accidentally slamming the pick into the side of it (like if you were strumming a chord with an upstroke)?

@Troy, I’d be very interested in how you would explain how Bill and Vinnie Moore are able to avoid hitting the side of the third string closest to the second string in the above example and instead go right over the string to get in position for the downstroke. This is confusing to me because it seems that the forearm just moves horizontally, so where is the vertical motion coming from that takes the pick up and over the top of the third string in that example? What is the primary driver in the motion that makes the pick go up and over the third string in preparation for the downstroke (the part of the anatomy used to make the pick go over the string instead of bumping into the side of it like you would do on purpose if you were sweeping or economy picking)? Thank you!

Yes thanks a lot for adding this! :slight_smile:
So now I’m confident enough to add one thing that I’d change, don’t get me wrong there, this is personal taste not aynthing related to technique or style.
I’d prefer way less reverb. The clean version has more personality to me it’s way easier to feel (I can still hear it with reverb) the small changes in accents and microvibratos to get sustain without intense effects.

Anyway … you see me a little jealous :grin:

Here is a better up close clip of me playing clean with just my guitar. The other video was not recorded very good, lol. I tried to get the best angle.

3 Likes

Now you’re sounding more latin or Spanish which is also very nice. Is Al DiMeola the influence behind that playing?

1 Like