My picking style...sort of like early Vinnie Moore

Thanks! You ask some very good questions! This might sound weird, but I am not sure either, lol. When I am playing I am not aware of doing anything different to go from an upstroke on a higher string to a downstroke on a lower string. I just recorded a little clip here for this thread with the camera at a decent angle and it looks like I sort of go into upward pick slanting when I play faster lines. I did some string skipping doing it on the video to see if I noticed anything different and I didn’t, lol. I think I am pretty much doing the same thing that Troy showed that Vinnie was doing when he plays an ascending six lick…which is a bit of swiping when going back to the lower string. I use a lot of left hand muting and I think it more than likely is just covering it up. When I try it without the left hand muting I can here the open B string really faintly ringing right before the downstroke on the B string sometimes if I am playing the same lick on the E and B string. It is not very loud, but I can hear it. When I play normal I do not hear or feel anything at all. I am not changing the slanting as far as I know, so I think that explains it. Troy might be able to explain it better…he has a lot better handle on the various ways of string crossing when picking than I do. I hope that helps a little. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I recorded a better clip with just my guitar and no reverb…the last one was not very good, lol. I sort of have always liked reverb on a lot of things…maybe I will dial it back a little, lol. Thank you for the suggestion and the kind words about my playing. I appreciate it! :slight_smile:

If you like it don’t change it, the most important thing is always that you yourself enjoy how you sound, and the result is speaking for itself.
I like reverb too for the rythms and then even leveld to eleven, escpecially with broken 9th or 11th chords.

On fast leads I really love that almost clinical sound which emphasises the smaller sustain of nylons compared to steel but that’s just personal taste and probably related to the difference to my instrument, so don’t question your sound based on that view.

1 Like

Hello and thank you! Al was a big influence for sure as was Paco and players like Strunz and Farah. I love all those guys! I also like to play in a bluesy style also. I am a fan of music as much as a player. At the risk of over-posting on my own thread, lol here is a different example of my playing in a more bluesy than the ones I have posted. My cover of a Floyd song where I am doing a lot of improvising.

I’ll listen to this later today when I have the time… I just had to respond right now because when you mentioned liking Pink Floyd you gave me an incredible idea and I wanted to tell it to you before I forget it.

Do you like the Pink Floyd song “Dogs” from the Animals album/ If so, a cover of it by you, adding your own style and creativity as well as chops would be fascinating as well as probably very beautiful. I think "Dogs"is the most poignant Pink Floyd song ever and what amazing lead guitar on it!

1 Like

That is so funny you should mention Dogs off of Animals. I was thinking of doing a cover of that recently and just learned all the chords to it. That is really cool you were thinking that also! :slight_smile: I will have to follow through with it and see what comes out. Thanks so much!

What’s the saying…Great minds think alike! Ha ha! That is so cool, it’s like the concept of Synchronicity. The Police had an album named Synchronicity in the 80s the album with King Of Pain and Every Breath You Take.

Is there any chance you could share the opening chords to Dogs? I would love to just strum the intro to that song - it brings back such amazing memories!

If we lived in the same general area I would definitely be interested in collaborating on that song with you. I’m in Maryland - in the suburbs of Washington D.C. Are you anywhere close by any chance?

That would be fun…if I didn’t live in Ohio, lol. Dogs sounds as if it is in a different tuning…I never tune my guitar different, loll. So I just play it like this Dmi9…A string 5th fret, D string 3rd fret, G string 5th fret, B string 5th fret.
Then it is sort of a Fmaj7 with a B flat in the bass chord…A string 1st fret, D string 1st fret, G string 3rd fret, B string 3rd fret, Then to an A sus4 chord…E string 5th fret, A string 7th fret, D string 7th fret, G string 7th fret. Then to an A flat chord where I play a root, 5th, octave, sharp 4…E string 4th fret, A string 6th fret, D string 6th fret, G string 7th fret. It sounds like an alternate tuning maybe everything down a whole step? But these voicings are pretty much the same the same notes for the most part and I don’t have to retune, lol. I hope these help!

I’m sure they will help the next time I get a chance to play them. BTW, too bad you are in Ohio. It would be so cool to have somebody to jam on Pink Floyd with, especially “Dogs”!

1 Like

Neat.
Like the sound on this one :slight_smile:

I’m really not up to date in terrms of pickups and amps, how is the sound created?
In old days mixing piezo with microphone was pretty much the best you could get, is it still that?
Anyways seems to me a great instrument in addition.
Great work and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for watching! :slight_smile: I am not too up to date on the latest recording stuff out there either. I just plugged my Cordoba fusion model into my Marshall acoustic amp with some reverb that is in the amp and just recorded it with my camera. I just used the camera mike. Whatever pickup system that is built into the guitar is what I use. I do like my Cordoba guitars…they are really fun to play!

1 Like

What picks are using? Do you have a tight grip?

1 Like

I use the blue Dunlop 1.14. I would say I have a medium grip. Not too tight, but the pick does not really move at all when I play.

2 Likes

Fantastic playing here Bill having a good time looking through your YT videos!

1 Like

Thank you! I appreciate your watching! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is a little video from last night of me improvising a solo over some chords. I thought it showed my right hand from a pretty good angle. I have noticed recently that I am full on upward pick slanting with the elbow for the fast lines and I pretty much keep it in that position except if I was going from an upstroke on a lower string to a downstroke on the higher I slightly turn my forearm to downward pickslanting, which is pretty common for a lot of upward pickslanters as Troy has pointed out. When I am playing at moderate but still pretty quick speeds I tend to do a mix of rotational and elbow mixed together. I just thought it would be fun to share some of things I have noticed.

4 Likes

Really nice playing and great picking. Your picking is very clean and precise, are you aware of any swiping of strings happening when you’re changing strings?

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! I really don’t feel or here any swiping when I am playing, although I am sure there is some light swiping happening when I switch from an up on the high string to a down on a lower string. My left hand is really muting everything and keeping it quiet. I do not change the slant of my pick whenever I play outside picking type lines, which I like to do. So I guess I am swiping a little, but I can’t feel it or hear it.

3 Likes

Great playing dude, I really enjoyed it!

2 Likes

Great stuff man! So clean I could wear it to work :slight_smile: Love the outside sounding lines as well!

I am curious about your pedal point technique: are you aware of how you are doing it? Even though it seems all outside picking, I can’t hear any swiping.

Also: considering this is live the precision is mind blowing!

2 Likes