My picking style...sort of like early Vinnie Moore

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile: When I play the pedal point stuff I think it might be a combination of elbow and forearm rotation. I just sort of stay relaxed and whatever movement I use just sort of happens. The tone, sync and control is what I really focus on. I have always taped most of my practice sessions and listen back every night to make sure I am being musical, with good phrasing and good tone, when it is not where I want it…it drives me nuts, lol! I guess I have always just thought of playing precise and a producing a nice clean tone to be the same thing. I sort of have always let my ears be the guide and just do whatever it takes to sound like I want it to. I do favor outside lines a lot, not sure why…I guess my mechanics have always been set of for more those type of lines. Thanks for asking! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also hit the B string on the upstroke of the paul Gilbert lick- drives me nuts! I took a few video lessons with him and he suggested attacking the lick backwards- eg start with the single note on the E string and then play the 5 notes on the B, ending with the E string again. Didn’t really help me- but thought I’d share his 2 cents!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that Happidural! It is funny…I never hear the B string ring out when I am playing. The only time I can hear it ring quietly is when I use no left hand muting at all. I tend to mute everything with my left hand that I am not playing so I never noticed it… Since I never really heard it ever ring out when I was getting it down I just figured I was not hitting it, lol.

1 Like