Need help ups... 2 note per string pentatonics

I need serious help with upwards pick slanting, I feel I have the motion correct but just can’t get the pentatonics past 130bpm, picks getting stuck, having a total nightmare, been on years with these and can’t move forward, the more I practice the worse I get

Post a video please.

1 Like

I’m trying but it says it can’t authorise the file

The easiest way is to upload on YouTube and set the video as unlisted.

1 Like

Dirty as I’ve just literally came in and picked up the guitar, that’s where I’m at with just picking up

That’s the best way to record your playing. I always do that. No warming up, no preparations.

I’m soooo annoyed at these licks, I’m spending hours and hours on a night and getting nowhere

What about starting the lick adding an extra note on the higher string so you’d play 12-15-12 on the E before descending? So the string shift would happen after a downstroke.

After that it would be the same 2nps lick, just with an extra note at the start.

Wouldn’t that make it dwps? Everyone I’ve spoke to has basically said start on a down and I just can’t get away with that technique, I feel way more at home doing uwps, are these licks not possible using an upstroke? I seem to get stuck coming back to the 15 on the High e

Try doing 3 notes on the higher string OR starting with an upstroke and starting with 2 notes on the higher string.

Your problem is the string change. Try playing the lick only changing strings after a downstroke.

I almost feel its a “resting” problem, where I’m not quite fretting and hitting the note at the same time… Its ever so slightly out of synch throwing the whole thing off…

No. There’s no problem. Just try playing the lick as I’ve said. Either playing 3 notes on the higher string the first time or playing 2 notes and starting with an upstroke.

Yeah I change string on a down, strictly upwards pickslanting

Best way to describe it would be… If it get the first few notes right I can look in and it all runs smoothly, but if I don’t I get stuck straight away and it just falls apart

Do you think you could show me a video demonstrating what you mean?

I can when I arrive home

Appreciate your time mate, thank you. Can you nail this kind of thing?

Not above 180bpm 16th notes, and not for long.

Using an upstroke? How lol

1 Like