Need help ups... 2 note per string pentatonics

From your video it sounds like you have too much attack, I would be interested to hear your play a max speed trem for comparison.

2 Likes

I would too. There could be a bit of an angle of attack mismatch and doing a fast tremolo can help highlight the problem, which you can then fix.

1 Like

Ahhh thanks fellas… I agree, I tend to really dig in for some reason, it’s starting the lick at say… 140bpm, the pick just gets stuck, interesting point about the picking mismatch, any tips? Driving me mad, I’m usually an upbeat guy but this is really starting to depress me now, all my practice time has come down to these licks

1 Like

I alternate between this and a sort of “legato” version where I lead with the fretting hand then try and add the picking to it, sounds alright with distortion but inaudible not plugged in, so I really want that “snap”. Then when I come back to the pickslant way I’m alright at first then the more I practice the worse it gets.

Would you guys say, start with fretting the lick then add the picking, or starting slower and doing both picking and fretting and just focusing more on the picking? I’ve heard mixed thoughts,

I’d really drop everything for a moment and just shoot a video of what your tremolo looks like.

I definitely hear ya about it feeling a bit depressing, but I’m sure it’s all fixable. Since your pick keeps getting stuck, there’s something that needs to get taken a look at.

1 Like

I’ll put a one up as soon as I can mate, not with a guitar atm… The attack is a very interesting point, if I focus more on legato side of the licks I can blaze through them, just kinda bugs me that it don’t have that “snap” to it when I’m not plugged in,

1 Like

Like @Shredd said, seeing what your full speed trem looks like will help diagnose things much quicker.

I’ve mentioned it inn a few people’s feedback already, but dynamic control is crucial for maximizing speed.

OK, I get that, I’m starting to think I’m maybe on the right path doing the “legato version” then adding the picking at speed rather than starting slow and focusing more on the picking as I seem to pick way harder doing that, and as you say it’s slowing me down, I’ve heard teachers say start slow and get everything right and others say jump in at speed and try and tidy everything up, and I know that’s the advice Troy ect give, go for speed and tidy everything up.