Need help with my Right Hand. Please Help, its painful!

Crazy right!! Huge eye opener for me too!!

Amazing!!! Itā€™s so cool to know these motions now!! Itā€™s going to take a bit but itā€™s super exciting!!

Where is the video your talking about

Yep. I heard about Troy in 2016 but I didnā€™t really take the plunge until about 2020. At that point Iā€™d already been playing, really actively (music major in college, failed pro music career lol) for about 25 years. I wasnā€™t as good as you or anything, but I could ā€˜playā€™. Iā€™ve overhauled my picking entirely. I feel like a beginner in ways since the picking Iā€™m doing now doesnā€™t resemble the way I used to pick at all. Itā€™s coming together though! and yes, it is really exciting! Iā€™m close to the point with some of these motions that they are just ā€˜happeningā€™ and I donā€™t have to think about them. I think in another couple years Iā€™ll be a brand new player :slight_smile: I am just a hobbyist though.

Itā€™s up a ways in this thread. Here it is again:

If you mimic exactly how Troy sets up, youā€™ll either do the correct motion, or your string hop. Hand placement, pick grip, pick exposure, everything. I tried to just do that, and use that form to play stuff that required escapes in both directions. It was unlike any setup I had ever done before. Now I donā€™t have to use that exact setup. In that short cross picking clip I posted I think my grip and hand placement are a little different than his, for example. But using that video as a starting point really helped me. It really helped me feel that correct motion. It ā€˜feelsā€™ very much just like straight up and down, even though the motion is obviously slightly curved. I think a lot of people try too hard to make that curve happen and it becomes string hopping.

1 Like

I think this is the technique I have been doing to play bluegrass. So weird now I know that at least I am on the right path!!! Thank you!!!

1 Like