Optimal aduio quality

Hey Guys,

I consider myself an auditive person, which means whenever I hear a piece of music I like to hear it in the best quality available. Nevertheless I’m not that kind of guy that brags with his LP’s and his million dollar music system (which I don’t have =).

For Play along songs I have the following rig:

Laptop --> Volume / Input Mixer --> PA Music System

Now when I play a song over Aux out on my laptop it sounds a little bland. Meaning the treble is not crystal clear and everything is a little bit washed out…
Also I have to amp up the volume a good bit for a good practicing volume.

Of course when I hit play directly from USB it sounds way better because its a digital signal.

But how can I achieve the best audio quality over analog signals (AUX out)?

I guess a separate USB Audio Adapter would make things way better. The onboard soundcards are not the best.
But as I’m looking for a recording tool anyway, I’m considering to buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. This would then be my DAW and should have the same effect on making the sound way better, right?

I also only use mp3’s with 320 kbit/s.

I know some of you guys out there are really top notch in this regard, so I really like to hear your thoughts on this.

Can you explain the specifics of the entire signal chain? Are the mixer’s settings completely neutral? Is it actually an Aux out, or a headphones jack? Does it sound good on headphones or other speakers? Is the cable itself tested to work normally and sound good?

Could be many reasons why it sounds bland, like a consumer laptop audio driver software doing something detrimental, a bad or mega long cable, some impedance issue, quality of the output jack or the mixer’s input.

They should sound almost identical. USB probably sounds better because there’s likely something wrong with the other method. It’s been super long since I tried to do what you’re doing though, so I may be overlooking something.

Unless you have some very unlikely scenario going on, I doubt this! Onboard soundcards aren’t the best, but there shouldn’t be problems like what you’re describing. I personally wouldn’t mess with USB adapters, unless I knew they’re exactly what is needed. You may end up creating more problems or inconveniences than solving them.

This is what I’d do. If you connect into your mixer via an audio interface, you’re entirely bypassing the aux/headphone output of your laptop, which should avoid the sound quality issue. Might still be worth it to investigate what’s wrong with it, though.

Scarletts are fine. They’re called audio interfaces. DAW = Digital Audio Workstation, meaning recording software. I think some people call audio interfaces DACs, which refers to a Digital-to-Analog Converter, which is a component inside an audio interface.

I’ve been happy with an SSL2+, in case you need another interface candidate.

Thanks for your suggestions!

All cables I use are under 2 Meter.
The sound I good as long I use my Earphones.

See the Scetch for my Rig.

I’ll try the scarlett. This alone should have more output power than my soundcard.

If the Aux out doesn’t sound good, unfortunately there isn’t much you can do about it. I’ve had mixed results with the cheapy USB sound card options. If it were me, I’d do the Scarlett or something similar, there’s tons of options these days. They aren’t crazy expensive and you get some inputs/mic pres for recording. Well worth a few hundred bucks IMO.

Edit: if it sounds good using headphones, it’s less likely that it’s the aux. more likely in the mixer. It’d be a bummer if you got your fancy interface and ended up with the same issue. Still probably a good investment, though.

Yeah, if you’re into recording music at all, there’s no reason not to own a somewhat decent interface. SSL2 and 2+, UAD Arrow, Focusrite Scarlet, Audient ID4 are all in quite good reputation.