Possible scam on youtube?

hi. ive recently found a link on you tube telling me to message troy on telegram. the message claims i won a guitar.the message also wants me to send money to a naiom ombati. when i check it was located in kenya. please tell me if this is a scam. and if so please be on the lookout. there is a youtube channel with troy named troygrady@telegram.

1 Like

This seems to be a very common thing now, especially on YouTube. Report the channel if you can. I assume you can do that on YouTube…?

1 Like

Yes it’s very concerning

Yeah, this is a common scam nowadays. Just ignore and report the account that made the comment (not the channel the comment was posted on).

1 Like

Yeah, seems to be a growing scam - people in the comments of big youtubers, pretending to be the content creator, asking fans to message them on telegram because they’ve “won”.

Suffice to say, you should probably not send money to random people via shady means, like, at all.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up!

It certainly looks like a scam, so please nobody answer them or engage with them!

I’ll show this to the rest of the team asap if they haven’t seen it already, hopefully we can sort things out soon.

EDIT: I reported the channel to YT as a scammer/impersonator, not sure how long they’ll take to review this

1 Like

hey everyone! i got the same message and i almost got scammed , and yeah they tell you won a gibson guitar and ask you to send personal info ,that i stupidly share cause i thought it was troy , also they ask you to send them money for the shipment and choose a company , dammn it i was happy because i thought troy was going to answer to my strumming issues , damn they even called me but i did’n answer i really hope they don’t hack me or something anyway be really careful !!

its on almost everything I look at, be it guitar, golf, boxing . They actually take the channel’s avatar pic which looks legit - suckers people in.

Good news I’ve reported this to YouTube and they have taken down the scammer. but I’m sure they will be back again so please be aware of these scammers they are plaguing YouTube chats especially instrument related content.

2 Likes

Seen this on a lot of YouTube channels over the past couple of months. Not that I watch YouTube all the time or anything :grin: obviously I spend all my spare time working on my USX technique. Anyone that tries to get me to contact them outside of the platform I treat as suspicious and ignore them even if it appears to originate from the channel.

1 Like