Preston Black USX Wrist(?), same as Shawn Lane?

What do people reckon?

There was a clip a while back of Troy on the Cracking the Code Instagram where he seemed to be making the DSX version of this motion at similarly crazy speeds!

Anyone worked on this sort of thing? What was your experience with it?

2 Likes

Wow, he’s really good. I’d defer to Tom, but this looks to me like the dart-thrower USX he was describing in the other thre-- looks like he’s replying, I’ll just wait for his analysis :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I think it’s very similar, being a dart-thrower action from a reverse grip.

I’ve worked on this movement over the year. It’s absolutely ludicrously fast.

2 Likes

In a dramatic turn of events, Tom is actually preparing his first trolling post :rofl:

4 Likes

I swear to god, the only reason this board has no Goodposter Of The Year award is because he’d get it every single time. :laughing:

3 Likes

In a less stupid reply, I might add that I saw a nice Technical difficulties cover from Preston, and he approached the 3nps scalar runs as:

D - h - h on the low E
U - D - U on the A string
ending with D on the D string (which restarts the 16th note pattern).

I take this as evidence that, at some level, he prefers USX for the faster stuff.

EDIT: here it is

2 Likes

Do you use the reverse grip as well?

I’ve been trying to convert my table tapping into a similar wrist motion but I think I mostly revert back to my original USX wrist-forearm motion which is mainly deviation, not taking advantage of the power flexion and extension!

Which is odd, because that pattern should be eminently swipable, and there are definitely clips with him playing what looks like swiped outside Gilberts (but it’s so clean the swipes are inaudible to me).

2 Likes

I’m taking this to mean I’ve got a golden ticket.

I probably wouldn’t be active enough to qualify.

Very common in Shawn’s playing, actually his preferred coordination for an ascending 6.

Yes, the movement feels super clunky and uneven from a standard grip. From my standard grip I use a reverse dart-thrower action, but that doesn’t facilitate the same lines.

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve seen both USX and DSX players play that line with the hammer-ons, I guess they just make it universally easier?

If we’re talking about trailing edge picking (or as I’ve come to learn from this thread “dart throw” grip), I’ve tried it on guitar a few times over the years. I always go back to leading edge, just prefer that attack / feel.

I definitely pick this way on bass though!

1 Like

Yes, this is what we think Shawn Lane was doing. The idea is that you’re using an arm position which is sort of flat or even pronated a little, but you want to play pentatonics starting on a downstroke, like Eric Johnson. If you just moved the wrist sideways you wouldn’t be able to do this, because you wouldn’t have USX. You would either be trapped or even DSX. So to get USX you have to make a “dart throwing” motion toward the guitar body.

If you do this, and you use the more common index finger leading edge grip, the pickslant will be wrong. It will be 0 degrees (Andy Wood) or even UWPS (McLaughlin). This will give you garage spikes:

So so fix that, you need the trailing edge grip like Shawn. These things are not random, they all go to together and are more or less required.

2 Likes

That’s how Paul actually plays it most of the time.

1 Like

In another video he actually replies on a question regarding his picking saying: “I use downward pick slanting and swiping.”

(See his reply to the first comment)

It looks kind of similar to how I remember Neil Schon playing too.

1 Like

The snake is eating its tail again. I can’t tell you how many times I go looking for information on stuff only to end up at threads referencing our own material!

In this case this is probably accurate. The DWPS part at least does describe the pentatonic stuff. What we’re talking about in this thread is really just how it is achieved, i.e. which arm position and wrist motion is being used.

If there’s swiping it may have to do with the occasional downstroke string change in some of these phrases, I can’t tell. But if he says so that may be true.

2 Likes

I have, in the past searched “Shawn Lane Hands” on Google and found that most of the results were pictures of my own hands posted on this forum.

8 Likes

Oh I didn’t know that! But I definitely saw some videos of his (including live) where he was picking all the fast runs of the main riff.

He probably switches on and off, I’ve seen him do it both ways, probably just depending on what he feels like doing, he calls it a Van Halen/George Lynch technique which makes sense:

I’ve seen him play sixes like this a lot during that late naughts time period.

1 Like

Haha I can imagine! Then again, there are not that many other sites that have explained it as well as you guys have done over here. I always think it’s difficult to see whether it’s USX or DSX from this angle, especially when it seems to be so much wrist involved.