Rhythm vs Lead Playing

Does anyone else have two different playing styles between rhythm vs lead playing. For lead stuff I’m a Primary DSX person but notice when I am playing rhythm stuff i go the total opposite way and do what looks like more wrist flexion and extension with a tad wrist deviation like Steve Morse sort off if i want to get a decent feel and the all down-strokes type thing happening. What are the draw backs that you have had if so. Sorry if this has been discussed already but thought it was interesting.

Yes, for sure! I think this is the case for most people. I mean, if your lead playing is single escaped, by definition that motion will not work for strumming – you’d miss the strings or get stuck!

1 Like

Take a look at the Molly Tuttle examples in this recent thread for example:

1 Like

Yep, Molly Tuttle is a great example of this. But so is Brendon Small. Pretty much the whole theme of the Brendon interview is looking at all the different motions he uses and how he switches between them:

This is an excerpt but the whole interview is worth a watch since his motions are so clear and he’s really open about discussing how they might work.

This is the first motion we talk about in that clip after the intro songs. So yes, he totally does this and it’s very different from his other techniques.

2 Likes

Ill have to watch it again for sure. I didn’t catch it or was paying attention the first time around since I didn’t really know what I was doing but over the last few weeks I was like why does this feel good to me and can do it relatively with little effort , and looked at how my wrist was different then I do lead stuff. I also got to look at how he switches cause obviously this is totally different then doing the DSX thing and try to integrate the two better cause it feels like there is a disconnect of sorts. Some more homework me thinks.
thanks guys. Cant wait till the magnet gets done for reals so i can check my stuff.