Roy Marchbank's pick and his monster alternate picking

Many thanks guys, kind words. Happy to help anyone I can here.

2 Likes

Hi Troy Turns out mine and Jilly’s phones don’t record at 240fps (i phone 5S’s!) so we are now researching new phones for upgrades, long overdue. When I have, what’s looking like a new 6S, I will be good to go! Where do you want me to mail the files to? My best Roy.

3 Likes

Hi Roy - a phone upgrade sounds like the right idea. Everyone who enjoys filming their own technique should own a phone capable of at least 120fps.

We’ll send you a dropbox link - I’ll follow up via email.

3 Likes

I’m so glad this is going ahead, very excited to see the analysis you do!

3 Likes

When will YOU be getting analyzed???

4 Likes

Me?! Ha! I think compared to a lot of the forum members (especially yourself and Mr Marchbank) my picking is nothing remarkable, but I appreciate the sentiment!

But just in case anyone IS interested…

(Hijacking your thread, sorry Roy!)
4 Likes

Don’t feel bad Roy, I do all of my video stuff on a old LG phone that only does 30fps. Hahahaha. I gotta get a different phone one day. I was checking out your latest video and like the approach you have to writing.

@TheCount dude, I love the trailer on your channel. lmao :rofl:

@milehighshred Uh huhuhuhuhuhuhh, you said anal

3 Likes

Roy uploaded some more exercises for you guys. Hehehe.

3 Likes

Alt/Open tuning is how I write absolutely everything, solos included. I then have the task of working out how to play in standard tuning what I have already done in open/alternate tuning. This is not always doable because the intervals can be so far apart it is physically impossible to connect clean at speed. However, it’s a good challenge! Sometimes I will just play the whole piece in the alt/open tuning and sometimes I compromise in the standard tuning or occasionally I ask aother instrumentalist I am working with to play the line if it serves the piece better (e.g. piano). I hope these drill sets I am uploading and anything I do with Troy can help other players in some way. I have literally hundreds of these drills, I have used them to refine motor/muscle memory. When the time comes you have to play something difficult, its simply just there, without having to think or feel tense. It should just happen without thought, in the same way a martial artist will repeat thousands of times a single movement all day to get it refined, so when it comes to using it, should you ever need to, its there BOOM! but relaxed, deadly accurate and extremely effective. For myself, this is a journey of self discovery. The only person I need to prove anything to is myself, I wont be able to do it all in a single lifetime, but I can promise you I’m going to kick the arse out of the possible 30 years I have left to live and hopefully help as many as I can along the way.

5 Likes

This is incredible stuff Roy. And the concept of writing in open tunings is interesting, I might try at at some point. The eternal struggle to write original lines! Are these picking drills things you practiced when building your picking ability? If so, did you do them for a specific amount of time each day?

2 Likes

Cheers bud. I find I dont fall back into the same old uninspired patterns when I play in a tuning I am not too familiar with. It allows me to follow what I am hearing in my mind instead of always reaching for that comfortable default setting I would fall into in standard tuning. On the practice schedule, all will be explained in Wednesdays mailbag yutube upload :wink: There is quite a lot of information to cover.

4 Likes

:bear::ok_hand:

2 Likes

Royverb at Eventide and emm printer paper

1 Like

I love it when my ugly Igloo cooler and bottled water make it into the video.

1 Like

I didn’t know one note per string stuff was possible at this speed!! Madness!

3 Likes

Its a different set of muscles being used I believe for the single note stuff Joe? . There is a LOT of tension in the whole arm to tremolo spasm pick full tilt.
For me…and this doesnt apply obviously to everyone, to cross strings one note per string alt picking mega accurate and relaxed with a clean tone, whatever the note choice inc different rhythm and dynamics, I have to employ sarod up slant parallel technique.
I’ll leave the world single note speed title to you younger guys, at nearly 50 I’ll end up in the infirmary if I try that too often lol
BTW something of real physical importance. I mashed up my shoulder rotor cuff at the dojo working the heavy bag around 1 1/2 years ago because i didnt warm up properly and as a result, couldnt play an upstroke for nearly 9 months!!. Look into it if your hitting your middle years guys, its really common. There are specific muscle groups to exercise to help stop this from happening, Have a great day.

5 Likes

Man, I like that bell at the end of the video above. Is that a church bell? Or a clock tower?

Yeah, I hear the rotor cuff is the worst thing to mess up. It won’t heal if you tear it… Gotta have surgery when that happens I think. I hear ya though, these young’ns are getting too fast for me to keep up. You are pretty damn fast though, Roy. You guys are hitting stupid fast speeds. :bear:

2 Likes

Its the guitar strings :laughing: I cant remember how i came up with it but its In the true Carl Stalling spirit, the guy was a genius. If you lift the B string up, grab the G with your first finger fretting a note under the B string then let the B string slide down over your nail so the two strings are crossed holding both down with your first finger, it produces the sound of a bell, enjoy and remember to bring yer bible lol. Rotor Cuff tears do heal!, sure it scared the shit out of me, my arm was dead for over half a year, i could’nt lift it a foot from my side. Just give it time if it happens and dont take steroids or go for an operation, you will only make it worse. I would stress not to overlook the easy exercises for the small muscle groups in the rotor cuff area to help avoid it happening in the first place. This got me back in action a little at a time. I started holding a can of beans, lifting just a few reps a day to start, it was murder

6 Likes

Dude!!! I did it! :rofl: Thanks!
https://vimeo.com/246607226

1 Like

Yes. YES YES YES YES YES. Far too often people preach to NEVER pick with tension. Well, tough titties! You can’t play your fastest with zero tension, and I’m quite pleased to see you say the same thing :slight_smile:

2 Likes