Should I get the Pickslanting Primer?

Hi, I joined this forum after watching a video of Troy talking about pickslanting.
From what I can gather, I don’t do DWPS.

In the example below, I get tripped up on the string changes, would learning DWPS help overcome this?
I just want to make sure before I go ahead and get the Pickslanting Primer.
Any and all help welcome, thanks!

I should point out that I’m comfortable playing at that speed and faster with many other things.
So I know that’s not the issue. Looking at all the licks I’ve ever struggled with, it comes down to 2 note per string transitions. Unless I start on an upstroke (which I don’t want to do here) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey! Yes, the Pickslanting Primer is our best all-around intro, covering DWPS, UWPS, and 2WPS. Probably a good idea to be familiar with all those: one-way pickslanting (downward or upward) for even #s of notes per string, and two-way pickslanting for odd #s of notes per string. Looks like some of both in that example here!

Right now the Primer doesn’t quite cover everything we’d like, so we’re in the process of filming some new tutorial material about fundamental picking motions. Once we have that done, we’ll add it to the product as a free update for anyone who’s bought it already.

Another option is to try subscribing for a month or two, which gets you access to everything on our site: Pickslanting Primer, seminars, interviews, live broadcasts. One in particular to check out would be this live broadcast we did for subscribers, covering all the basic picking motions and how they work:

If you’re already comfortable with your picking motion you could just start with the Pickslanting Primer. Otherwise if you don’t have a picking motion you’re happy with, or want to understand more about how picking motion works, that live broadcast is currently the best place to start. Soon we’ll cover those topics in the Primer as well and we’ll be able to tell everyone definitively “start here!” :slight_smile:

Oh and I’d also suggest just spending some more time browsing the forum; we have plenty of stuff you can soak up for free and that may help you determine if you want to spring for the Primer or the membership. If you have further questions just let us know!

1 Like

Chiming in late here, but I played through the first couple bars of this last night before bed, and most of this would work well with downward pickslanting starting on a downstroke. You’d run into some problems as you go on - the 14th fret note on the high E of bar 4 would probably need to be legato, for example, as would the 16th fret after that, and then the last two bars would pose some problems - but a downward slant could get you through most of this, and then you could tackle the remaining problems with alternative tools (legato pulloffs, two way pickslanting, maybe hybrid picking for the lone 16th fret note in the final bar… even alternate fingerings, really).

But, by and large, I think you’d find it helpful.

1 Like

Yes, it is very insightfull!!!

Sorry for the huge delay in responding.

I really appreciate the feedback, so much so, that I’m now a subscriber.
Can’t believe the amount of stuff I’m learning, and I’ve only just cracked the surface!

I transcribe professionally, so all this info is bound to help when I’m sorting finger positioning for phrases that are less common.

Thanks guys!

1 Like

I purchased the primer recently and am just getting started but I will say I am already noticing or advancing in my playing just after reveiwing the starting segments on pick grip and pick selection etc. it gets you thinking about what you are actually doing and how the pick is articulated while playing. I am already seeing improvements in my sweep picked arpeggios and that is one area that was frustrating for me. For lack of a better way of putting it I was holding the pick “too rigid” or, everything was rigid, my wrist etc. Personally I’d say yes dont wait, get the primer it helped me and Im looking forward to more and there is quite a bit of information there for the price.