Sierra Hull Mandolin Technique

With all the Andy Wood material I thought I’d share a few videos of Sierra Hull, who has one of THE most immaculate picking techniques I’ve seen on any instrument. Easily one of my favourite musicians.

Both of these are FULL of super accurate high speed lines. Well worth a watch, her album Daybreaks is full of great songs as well. Similar to Molly Tuttle she blends insane virtuosity with well written songs.

There’s a great video on her Facebook page as well with a go pro on the headstock and a few hand closeups. Not any of the super high tempo stuff but still pretty cool!

4 Likes

I really like the instrumental she played on the reverb interview.

The other parts of the interview

3 Likes

Yes Sierra is awesome. We have reached out in the past to no response, but I’m sure we’ll try again at some point.

3 Likes

@Dissonant_Timbres I love that clip! The riff at 2.05 could almost be a trash metal riff. It’s a great set of interviews, she seems like fun person as well!

@Troy great to hear you’ve got in touch, shame about the lack of response! But yeah, hopefully some day that can come together. Glad you’re getting into some other plectrum instruments though. How about some Oud and Sarod next?.. or too obscure? Haha!

I’m a new fan of Sierra’s. I stumbled upon Sierra this week while looking at bluegrass videos on the net. Sierra’s playing is supremely masterful. And she isn’t limited to mandolin. She is also just as great on guitar.

There’s a video of her and Molly Tuttle doing a skype video together during the pandemic. They are masterful doing a couple of Molly’s songs performing together at remote locations.

There is also a video on the net of 10 year old Sierra jamming with mandolin virtuoso Chris Thile. She was a tremendous player at 10 years old.

I’m not surprised that Sierra didn’t respond to Troy’s request. From watching a number of her videos, I got the sense that Sierra might be a tough “get”. Maybe Troy could ask Molly for a 2nd appearance at CTC but this time with Sierra. It’s just a thought. Also, Sierra’s husband Justin is right up there on talent and ability. He performs with her in duets. Both quite impressive.