Standard Rock Repertoire?

Hey guys, didn’t know where to post this, if it’s inappropriate, please move it to the right place.

I haven’t been in a band for quite awhile now, mostly due to my own insecurities, but I’m soon moving to a country where I can find a rock band to play at some bars a bit easier.

I think this is a great opportunity to develop a repertoire of standard rock songs, since I was never patient enough to actually learn 25-30 songs from start to finish.

Soooo, what songs do you guys play with your bands? Is there a “standard” repertoire in rock music? All suggestions are welcomed.

2 Likes

I’ll chime in with ZZ Top and Kansas :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d go with some simpler Queen songs and AC/DC.

1 Like

Depends on the ability/range of the singer!

3 Likes

That I can’t know without joining a band, but let’s just assume that the singer won’t be Freddie Mercury or something :grin:

I just want to learn some pretty standard stuff, because I feel that my repertoire is quite limited. I’ve been practicing sequences/exercises/licks for far too long.

Justin Sandercoe of Justin Guitar – a prominent and good YouTube teacher of non-shred guitar – has a bunch of lessons on full songs, and without knowing your tastes or preferences I think they are a reasonable starting point at a canon.

There’s not a lot of Yngwie, though

1 Like

Oh I forgot about Justin! He has a wide range of rock songs uploaded. Thanks! Fortunately I can play most of that stuff without having to see what he does note for note.

Yngwie is remarkable, I just haven’t been able to really dive into his mechanics, even though I’m a huge fan.

Brown Eyed Girl. I don’t know why. Played in bars for 20 years. The request never went away.

Lesson about choosing repitoire: Early on…my band worked-up ‘La Villa Strangiato’, got the crowd worked up and then dropped the tune. Cleared to dance floor. Lesson learned for us young bucks: playing in a bar is not about you, it’s about them. I know it’s a cliché but it’s so true.

You might not get to do much shredding if you’re looking to entertain others…but throw in a few licks here and there and you will know who the guitar players in the crowd are. Also great experience to work on tone in a live setting.

Once you’ve done 10 gigs you will know the common requests…the repitoire eventually presents itself! Good luck and have so much fun! Watch your back carrying equipment around.

4 Likes

Thanks man! I’ve never actually sat down to learn Brown Eyed Girl, I’ll give it a shot.

I don’t really “need” to shred, I also get satisfaction by rocking hard and playing groovy songs. Some savagery here and there is welcomed of course!

So far I have AC/DC, ZZ Top, Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Billy Idol, Queen and Big Wreck. I think this covers quite a bit of ground, at least for now.

Back in my teen band days I used to carry around a 50w Marshall JVM with a 2x12 cab. Yikes! I’ll definitely build a much smaller rig. I’m thinking of a Friedman Pink Taco combo version along with 4-5 pedals tops.

Hendrix tunes :slight_smile:
Spanish Castle Magic- and oh almost forgot! Whiskey in the Jar is always a classic.

1 Like

I mostly play bass and while I am happy to play through any backline provided, when I take my own it’s a MarkBass 121P; it’s a 1x12 class D amp rated at 350W without an extension cab (500W with) and I can pick it up comfortably with one hand.

If I was looking at playing Billy Idol et al. in bar bands I would get a Boss Katana without hesitation. My back would thank me and they sound great.

I played the Friedman Jerry Cantrell combo recently, was blown away by the tone and volume from the little box! The $1700 price tag smacked me in the face lol.

Crossroads
Sunshine of your Love
Heartbreaker
Whole Lotta Love
Foxy Lady
Purple Haze
You Really Got Me
Aint Talking bout Love

3 Likes

My teacher is playing a Friedman Phil X, that’s how I was introduced to the company, they make some fantastic amps! I haven’t played a mediocre one yet. They’re pricy indeed, but really worth the hustle. I’ll try to find a used one of course, I won’t be able to handle my taste with a phD candidate salary. :joy:

Thank you for the suggestions, some nice songs in there.

Sweet Home Alabama
Can’t You See - Marshall Tucker Band

Some 90s tunes would go over big depending on the audience
Smooth - Santana
Far Behind - Candlebox
Alive - Pearl Jam
One - U2

Depending on how good the singer is lean on songs that the audience can sing along. It’s probably not a bad idea to look up the top streamed rock songs from various decades on spotify.

Quite literally anything from Tom Petty’s popular catalog would work!

Last dance with MJ
Runnin’ down a dream
Saving Grace

Would be my picks :smiley:

2 Likes

How could we forget?

Freeeeeeee Bird!

1 Like

Can’t forget this classic! —

Haha I’ll be honest I’m not enough of a rock connoisseur to make a full list, but I kind of love how “standard rock repertoire” can encompass such a range of eras / styles that everyone can have a totally different and valid idea of what this means.

A few to consider: Van Halen, Hendrix, Springsteen, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Bowie, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Nirvana, Guns N’ Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers…

2 Likes

There’s probably some regional variation too. I’d imagine the ratio of Springsteen to Lynyrd Skynyrd is different in the south than the northeast.

3 Likes

Pretty much any semi rural club is going to like Mellencamp, Springsteen, Bob Seger, Skynyd, Allman Bros etc. Lean heavier on Springsteen and Mellencamp in the rust belt. Lean heavier on Skynyrd, Allman bros etc in the south.

1 Like

I love this topic! Plenty of good tunes here in the replies, but thar be dragons there.

When people like us put together setlists, we gravitate towards guitar-based music. More guitar? We like it more!

But the crowd doesn’t like songs for the same reasons we do. They like what they like.

Bar owners don’t care what you sound like—they care if the crowd shows up, stays through your way-way-way-too-long set break, and spends a ton of money on booze. Make the bar owner happy? You get more (and better) gigs.

All else being equal, it’s also a lot more fun to play for enthusiastic crowds.

Know whose job depends on keeping the dance floor packed? Wedding bands. And luckily, every wedding band on earth keeps a full setlist of songs they know on their website. Go crib a few successful bands’ setlists. See what songs pop up again and again.

That doesn’t mean you have to play stuff you don’t like. Think of the Venn Diagram overlap between “songs I like” and “songs drunk people like” and learn those songs.

• I love singer-songwriter deep cuts. People in bars don’t. So I don’t play those songs (in bars anyway).
  • People in bars love Luke Bryan, but I think he’s terrible. So no matter how many requests I get, I ain’t learning Luke Bryan.
  • Drunk people love The Killers, Bruce Springsteen, and Whitney Houston. So do I! So Whitney, Bruce, and the Killers are all in heavy rotation.

Treat it like a hypothesis—“I think people will lose their minds over this song.” But if you play it at three gigs and no one cares about it, take it off the list. Try something else. Keep refining until there’s no fat in your sets. You’ll know you’ve got it when people forget to go home.

Personally I try to steer clear of up-to-the-minute hits. Sure, for two weeks last summer everyone wanted to hear Old Town Road, but now we’re largely over it. It’ll be a great tune to cover in three years, once we’ve all had a chance to get nostalgic about that moment in time.

It’s one of the hidden-in-plain-sight things about playing covers: you’re using other people’s memories as a lever. Your version of Life Is A Highway or Boys Of Summer might be totally mediocre, but it’s a skeleton key that opens up everyone’s fond remembrances of driving with the windows down and the radio up.

Something that’s worked really well for me is “song menus”—we hand trifold brochures with a list of songs we know and invite people to text our “request hotline.”

I’m linking to a Dropbox folder here with our song menu. You can see the list of tunes that are still on our menu after four years of playing the same bar every week. I’ve also included editable templates (for both Word & Pages) if you want to try them out for yourself.

4 Likes