Technique critique - UWPS and timing

Here is a clip of me playing some a.p. runs with upws sorry for the angle I have no idea how to replace the magnet but I’m working on it. Skip the first 25 seconds I’m just really not in the mood for editing sorry for that.
I would like to get some tips on how to improve my technique and really to get some idea where am I in my technique progress. I feel really mediocre because right now I am playing around 115-120 bpm sextuplets but I don’t really get confident with the timing. I feel like I’m floating around the beats and I’m not locked in exactly.

Hey thanks for sharing!

Looks pretty good though hard to see much detail from this angle. Not sure what if anything you may need to work on motion-wise, sounds like it may be more a matter of working on timing for example by practicing chunking.

FYI we actually have a special “Technique Critique” category, so you may have missed this, but when you’re in this category and click “new topic” you’ll see instructions for how to create a post that makes it easier to get you specific feedback. If you want mechanical feedback you may want to take a look at that and try posting a new video according to those instructions:

https://forum.troygrady.com/c/technique-critique

In addition to video from a clearer angle (including both fast + slow-motion if possible), I’d suggest including a bit more detail on what you’ve tried and what you’re looking to improve. (Best to include any questions / comments in writing in the post itself, and have the video be just a short clip of playing.)

Also I see you had a topic last month that didn’t get replies (Differences in sound and feel between chunked and non-chunked playing?) — perhaps it could be useful to get some video of this specifically, with an angle where you can really see what’s going on. There may be differences visible in a more Magnet-like angle that you won’t notice with a wider straight-on angle.

Thanks for your reply, I totaly forgot about the critique category. I’ll think of some way of getting the magnet type of angle and will post a new video.

1 Like