Technique from amazing guitarist Cesario Filho

that is what im wondering if thats what the jumbo frets are for during the grip transition. now i dunno if he fingers it differently but this is the simplest way to not think and play it as fast as you can by simplifying fingering.

forgot to put the 8 on the end downstroke rofl

i dont have jumbo frets but can you get a slide to sound similar to a pick attack? ive got a whimpy squire. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know what youā€™re asking, but thereā€™s really no need to break your brain on this because Yngwie does exactly what Iā€™m saying he does, and hereā€™s a live performance from 1985 showing it pretty clearly:

You can watch this in slow motion if you want. The YT slow motion feature is not garbage, itā€™s great, and mostly limited by the quality of the footage the people upload. But the sound of the pulloffs is obvious and so are the picking motions, which you can count and actually see when he stops picking for the pulloffs.

Also at about 2:40 there is a nice hand closeup where plays the 4s and 3s pattern on two strings repeating, and if you watch this part in slow motion the picking hand stops picking on the B string to allow the pulloff. Once again, itā€™s obvious.

This is an awesome period performance of YJM in peak form, worth a watch all the way through.

3 Likes

im on a phone so definately the slow down on the youtube app on my galaxy j7 compared to the slow down with the app i listed is night and day. it is terrible quality. and im sorry but i still disagree with you. joe stump even does double downs. the recording is there for your ear to hear.

So youā€™re saying that live video of the guyā€™s actual hand stopping picking for pulloffs isnā€™t enough? Well, not much I can say to that! Sure, agree to disagree.

2 Likes

like i said if the slide transition can get you the same sound fine ill agree with you but you are saying pull off the slide is definately not a pull off pluck

there is no agree to disagree my ear hears what is playing on the recorded lp record.

i mean this debate is getting heated ya i agree he does it probably now no matter what but like i said if you listen to the original recording with a decent slow down program you can hear the pick attacks. unless the way the program is processing the grains is accenting the note making it sound like a pick attack. then yes im wrong.

i mean the music speed changer app but i dunno if you have android phone is quite good lol i hope you at least tried it :confused:

Sorry for any unintentional aggro here! I understand, the album doesnā€™t sound like heā€™s using pulloffs. As a teenager of course I had no idea, and I think a lot of pro level guys like Gilbert who were directly energized by him to go and practice picking didnā€™t know it either at the time.

The odds that heā€™s doing something different on the record from every other live clip of him playing these lines are sort of slim. But it is totally reasonable to hear the recording and think all those notes are being picked.

i just think if it were me id want it to sound the best on a LP so id be willing to bet he did pick it. he is after all very particular about perfection. but i take it you didnt try music speed changer, you should its easy mobile practice weapon. :slight_smile: can hear it all so easily no more terrible artifacting. now if he cheated shame on him but he couldve altered it or no? possible during that era?

but its easy to do not hard im not fast but can do it at my max speed 10nps slightly faster cause like i said its a scale he plays it all day everyday so its not hard to fathom that he picked it rofl! i mean hes probably played that damn scale downwards how many times? a bazillion? :stuck_out_tongue:

but yes later on inthe recording he slops it up hehe listen to it

Iā€™m just curious: why are you equating ā€œpicking everythingā€ with perfection? From Yngwieā€™s standpoint, maybe a pull-off is actually ā€œperfectionā€ because it better suits the picking patterns that heā€™s accustomed to, therefore feel more fluid. It wouldnā€™t be too far of a stretch to consider this, as @Troy linked a live performance with a similar pattern played without strictly picking everything, and even his own slow motion video demonstrating that a pull-off can have as much attack as a picked note (especially easy when youā€™re using 8 gauge strings tuned a half step down, as I recall Yngwie does).

Iā€™m also not sure why you would consider this ā€œcheatingā€? There are no rulesā€¦ If it works, it works!

what i mean by perfection is that lick is standing out alone in the mix so he wants it to sound bold and powerful. so it has to sound perfect! geez im not out to get anyone just trying to let you guys on a tip get music speed changer rofl :confused: and rely on your ears not video! but lol yes use video to understand the techniques but donā€™t cheat once you know the secrets troy has shown you

ship me a mic and ill record it slowed down and youā€™ll hear the pick strokes in all there beautiful glory but i canā€™t force you to download a free app. i guess it be too hard to try something stupid like that and loop the very first lick and slow down and let it sink into your ear. youā€™ll hear it after about 10 minutes. once your brain hears that pickstroke sound and picks up on it its easier and easier to hear. and for goodness sakes use a decent headset with an amplifier it helps immensely at first. then once you get better at hearing the slow down artifacting nuance of the app you can kinda just use the weak phone speaker really depends on how much is going on in the song if you can just use the phone speaker.

[quote=ā€œTroy, post:26, topic:5273ā€]

i mean you seem rather brash in your statement that i think. no sir i hear it, but you never will if you dont listen .

haha no im wrong its the same pattern just differnt picking pattern similar to the picking pattern of the fingering of the other scale shape youre talking about. so it can all be picked.

w

While this is a viable picking solution for this type of descending scale pattern, it is definitely not the Yngwie does it. This type of upstroke sweep on a string change just is not in Yngwieā€™s scale playing vocabulary. Itā€™s more like the way Gambale might pick it if he did these types of runs. Yngwie only does upstroke sweeps on descending arpeggios across 4 or more strings.

A lot of us have pored over all the available footage of Yngwie playing this type of pattern, and itā€™s never made with upstroke sweeping. Troy more than anyone has shown the most video evidence to support his theories - and he pretty much hits the nail on the head: descending string changes always happen on a downstroke. If thereā€™s an odd-numbered fingering on the previous string, thereā€™s a pulloff that allows an upstroke escape to prep for the downstroke string change. Itā€™s the Yng-way.

2 Likes

i mean yngwie does do more than 3 string sweeps though

If weā€™re going by ā€œearsā€ here, the record version of this does not at all sound like all the notes are being picked, again, to me. Itā€™s eight-note triplets and not sixteenths, so itā€™s one click slower, and this makes it much easier to hear. The trill and the B string in particular sound particularly obvious to me as partially picked.

But the faster he plays it, the less you can hear the pulloffs. The version around 30 seconds connected to the single-string fours I think would fool almost anyone, as would the version in Little Savage which is also unaccompanied.

But again, Iā€™m totally fine with whatever youā€™re hearing, and apologies for the aggro.

1 Like

well with the app music speed changer i can hear the pick attack the very first time he plays it. not the first three but all the proceeding notes are picked if using the app music speed changer. even the second time the lick is played but its a bit weaker. after that yes he falls back into the method you outlined.

FWIW, Iā€™m listening to this at full speed and that first pull-off after the trill is blatantly obvious to me. The second pull-off is less pronounced, but still there if you listen closely.

Btw, this shouldnā€™t be a question of what software one is using. Iā€™m listening to the CD on my PC and I can hear it plain as day. Seems to me like heā€™s playing something more like this:

1 Like

did you even try the slow down feature on the app music speed changer to listen to the audio file? the cuh cuh cuh cuh cuh sound is there in all its glory the first two times he plays it. the clacking of the attack is so pronounced its blatantly obvious, but you are not using the app. maybe you are just being rude either way it is picked those first two times.

I think you are letting your emotions get the best of you. No one responding to you is being rude. Itā€™s quite the opposite, actually. We are going out of their way to help you, but you seem to be locked into your way of thought and then lash out at anything that challenges it. Not a great way to learn, IMO.

Anyways, have a good one.

1 Like

Hey Troy,

Have a look at this video, I have slowed both of them down using Transcribe! and he seems to play the lick 2 different ways. Both follow the Yngwie rules.

1 Like

im talking about the original LP recording. tell me what you think listening to it with transcribe!. i dont have the software but i think they are similar in slow down quality.

Dude every note is not picked, Troy has created THE definitive study on Yngwieā€™s technique. When Yngwie descends the strings and plays three notes it is definitely Down, Up, Pull Off; using USX.

The only variation Iā€™m suggesting is 4 notes on the 2nd string or 4 notes on the 3rd string, I believe Yngwie changes things up to amuse himself.

Slowing down the LP recording it sounds like the first version, i.e. 4 notes on the 3rd string.

3 Likes