Technique from amazing guitarist Cesario Filho

ok so whats the timestamp from transcribe! beyond the beginning 3 notes on the LP recording where the pull off is happening on the first time the lick is played at from 0:14.700 - 0:16.300. segment me out the the two notes its happening on. all i hear beyond the original trill pull off is all plicky ticks before each note. there is a transition shift in down up down to up down up pick sound though as can be heard when the lick ends.

Iā€™ve been enjoying his channel for a few months. He has some short tutorials up. I enjoy hearing him play. Itā€™s a little wild but heā€™s damn good! I love Yngwie though so heā€™s right in my wheel house of fandom. :slight_smile:

Cesario is quite something.
Heā€™s got a different picking stance, bends his thumb which YJM doesnā€™t.

Also noticed YJMā€™s pick is really extended away, no curl on the index finger, Iā€™m trying to incorporate that as the picking motions get drastically reduced with it extended fully. I hope thatā€™s making sense. But itā€™s not been easy, I feel like Iā€™ve reset the whole thing.

I donā€™t know if guys have posted Roma Li videos, but as much as I love CF, and he is magnificent, RL goes closer to YJM than anybody Iā€™ve seen.

he does bend his thumb.

check out this back to back insane pinky trill.

oh you said stance. i get ya.

the wierd thing i just now heard was the fact that the 2nd and 3rd times that he plays the lick he ends it 12 10 9 8. thats the time stamp on the 3rd time where he switches from the 12 11 9 8 to 12 10 9 8. i kept playing along with it hearing something not quite right.

Here is a closeup video of Cesarioā€™s picking handā€¦

Here is Cesario blazing through one of @Troy 's licks!!

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, I commented. Great playing and the transcription seems right on.

I wrote that in 1993. Iā€™m old!

3 Likes

Hats off to you for carrying the torch when it wasnā€™t popular! I was listening to Smashing Pumpkins and Green Day in 1993 lol! That was all before Iā€™d heard of Van Halen and got bitten by the shred bugā€¦

2 Likes

There was no torch. I intensely disliked all the new stuff and didnā€™t understand why any of it was suddenly so popular. I have since mocked myself for this!

2 Likes

Lol I need to rewatch your whole CtC series. So entertaining! Iā€™d forgotten about your Nuno episode.

Side note, back in my band days during a regional tour, our rhythm guitarist was pulling double duty and sitting in with a band we were touring with. We werenā€™t on the bill at that show, but I remember us dropping him off at Toadā€™s Place for one of his gigs :metal: :metal: :metal: Then of course it was off to the next show where we (as per usual) made either no money or had to pay money to cover unsold tickets lol!

1 Like

I still listen to smashing pumpkins albums Siamese dream and Mellon collie and the infinite sadness :sweat_smile: . They are my ā€œI will never get tired of thisā€ albums

2 Likes

Hereā€™s another cool video of Cesario playing with a CtC approved camera angle:

I know itā€™s probably nothing that hasnā€™t been posted, but still cool to see. His playing is very clean.

8 Likes

Looks primarily USX with some helper motions right?and some sweeps of course

1 Like

It looks like USX with economy picking to account for the known limitations of USX. Pretty close to what Yngwie has been doing for years.

Very cool seeing someone reaching that level of accuracy and fluidity.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s a blend of wrist-forearm and finger motion, at least according to him. He recently released another tutorial on his finger motion for his youtube members and Iā€™ve been debating joining up again :slight_smile:

I think the motion becomes mainly fingers for longer economy phrases (like the very last phrase he plays in the video, notice the forearm stops wiggling) and then a blend between the two for the majority of his playing, maybe switching to primarily wrist-forearm for simple single string movable 6 note phrases.

Heā€™s also really fast at doing the occasional outside string change which is something Iā€™ve struggled with but he stated in a non-members youtube video that he purposely avoids inside string changes.

2 Likes

How much was it to join?

Ā£8.99, not sure how much that would be after conversion $11.35? Probably not that exactly :slight_smile:

Some great stuff on there, just not sure if I can justify the cost when Iā€™m only interested in one video!

1 Like