The Magnet - now on Kickstarter!

just backed the magnet too. I can’t wait to get one :smiley:

2 Likes

Final details TBD but I’d expect it to be pretty similar to the Kickstarter pricing. If we sell giant quantities one day down the line, it’s possible pricing could come down a bit, but for now I think it’ll be similar whether we manufacture say 1k or 5k.

It’s possible there may be additional bundling type things we could do, or other shipping options etc. Open to suggestions! But for the foreseeable future my best guess is pricing in the same ballpark as on Kickstarter.

1 Like

The youtube ad is really nice I gotta say. I already wanted one but it made me want one more. :laughing:

1 Like

Awesome haha thanks :smiley:

We’ve also got another YouTube video coming soon with some cool history / behind the scenes on the Magnet design!

One thing I liked about the original design was the optional Go Pro mount to face the fret board. I know the Go Pro’s have changed since then but I was thinking, Go Pro sells mounts for all of their cameras. If you could add something removable to the magnet that could in some way allow any of the Go Pro mounts to be attached to it. I don’t think it would be useful to be permanently attached, as you wouldn’t care to use it until you recorded a final cut video.

1 Like

@Brendan thanks for clearing that up. Just ordered my three now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome, thanks Tom!

Yeah this could be a cool idea, I could see that as something we explore down the line. We originally made a GoPro mount because at the time GoPros were getting popular and phone cameras were just barely starting to be capable enough. But it only worked for that specific body shape; I agree an adapter made to fit the generic mount would be an improvement!

Now, however, just about any phone can do killer slow-mo video, and WAY more people have smartphones than GoPros, so made sense to focus on that. Certainly something to consider if there’s enough demand, though!

Another thing to note is that the latest couple generation of iPhones are actually capable of filming with front and rear cameras simultaneously, which gives some cool possibilities if you want to e.g. film both hands t once. Still a new thing that requires third party apps, but I’m sure we’ll see more of this kind of capability.

1 Like

This is awesome! Long time coming! I just backed The Magnet also! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow we are over 80% there!!! Since I’m new-ish here, how close did the last (i.e. failed) campaign get? Seems to me that this much momentum in only 6 days is really good.

1 Like

82%! i’m checking it daily!!! :smiley:

IMHO it would be a good idea to start active advertising as soon as the minimum is raised.
Like guys from soundbrenner did… cuz magnet is like 10 times simpler and 100 times more useful than the CORE(i got both and i love my old magnet…)

2 Likes

Thanks so much Bill! Although please note we’ll be more than happy to send a free one to you and anyone else we’ve interviewed!

The last one got to just under $20k, around 1/3 of the total goal. It had decently strong activity first few days, but plateaued quickly. I think with this one we have both stronger initial velocity and better momentum…looking good so far!

Good idea! We’ve started running some ads on FB / IG at fairly small scale; if we find them to be effective we can definitely ramp that up further.

2 Likes

Just pledged for a magnet, shipping to Canada (?) could you please use USPS to minimize fees, otherwise couriers brokerage fees could end up costing more that the product itself.
But I have used special “FedEx Canada” at a flat all inclusive $10 rate.

wayne

1 Like

Thanks for backing! Yeah we’ll most likely use USPS, generally the simplest and best rates from what I’ve seen. Depending on the exact final weight of the shipped package, shipping to Canada will be probably ~$12 or $20.

For the Kickstarter, it’d get super complex to use a different shipping rates for every country, but not a ton of variation for this size package so we chose a rough average that should be pretty close for most places.

Yeah, USPS is absolutely the way to go for Canadian customers.

For anyone curious about how courier companies like UPS jerk Canadians around over imported items, check out the link below:

2 Likes

Backed! I can’t wait for this thing.

1 Like

I was a little late getting on the pledge train, but one more motivation for trying to help make The Magnet happen is that it will lead to more cool footage from folks on the forum.

1 Like

I have the iPhone 11 and have been looking for these apps you are taking about here, but the reviews show they are pretty sketchy at best. Is there an app that you guys recommend? One that records both front and back cameras at the same time and be capable of at least 120fps for slow motion on the one facing the picking hand.

1 Like

Am I seeing this right? The goal has been met??? Yea!

5 Likes

5 Likes

I added backing for 2 magnets, I noticed that the goal had already been met.

Very glad to see that this has worked out for the CTC team. Well done guys!

2 Likes