The Magnet - now on Kickstarter!

I had to cancel some other stuff to make this work, but ultimately decided supporting CTC and having access to a magnet was more important.

2 Likes

Aww yeah absolutely!

The two I’m thinking of are Filmic Pro (a powerful full-featured pro mobile video app) and Double Take, a free app by the same company that just does the multi-cam filming thing. I’ve tested the latter and it seems to work well but I don’t think high framerate is possible — I believe that’s a hardware limitation. So you’d be limited to the standard 30fps (or 24 / 25) with dual-cam shooting.

Hell yeah! As of a few hours ago :smiley: :100: :tada: and still going!

Thanks so much everyone, we really appreciate the support!

2 Likes

Even though I didn’t get in until after the project was fully funded, I’ll still receive a magnet?

1 Like

And here’s the latest video we put up, which gave us a nice boost to get past the Kickstarter goalpost — behind the scenes on the Magnet design process, from early prototypes to arriving at the unique dual-expansion mechanism:

Yes everyone who backs the Kickstarter for a Magnet before the campaign finishes (on May 21) will get one :slight_smile: There’s no limit / maximum, only the minimum required threshold.

Long term, we’ll also plan to get the Magnet up for sale directly on our online store somehow. But first order of business as soon as we get them manufactured will be fulfilling all the Kickstarter pledges.

6 Likes

Congrats on reaching the funding goal! :fireworks: :grin: :tada:

3 Likes

So cool that this project worked out! I’m stoked, not only for myself personally, but on behalf of guitar pedagogy as a whole. A great step onwards. Collective applause to everyone!

2 Likes

YES, agreed! So awesome that in happened in only ~1 wk too!

that-escalated-quickly

2 Likes

Only chiming in to say congrats as well! Buying mine later today. Funny for some reason the first time I glanced at the kickstarter I saw the price as $179 per magnet so was considering pros/cons of the investment on my end, but $49 is very reasonable.

1 Like

I’m so happy this is happening! Now the waiting begins…Aaaaaaagh! :joy::crazy_face::grimacing::pleading_face::sob::scream::tired_face:

1 Like

Nice! Congrats on full funding! Great success.

Are the magnets all going to be red? or will there be different colors?

1 Like

The estimated delivery date is listed as December 2020. Since The magnet was fully funded so fast is there any chances of a earlier delivery?

1 Like

Idk much about kickstarter, what happens if I donate? Do you get a magnet when it’s in production? How much is it?

1 Like

If you back at the $49 level before the kickstarter ends, you get a magnet.

3 Likes

Thanks! Yes just the one color for now. I think we’d have to reach considerably higher production volume for multiple colors to make sense. Also we just like this color, fits nicely with the “Magnet” branding :slight_smile: We’d consider more colors in the future but no plans for now.

There may be a small chance but we won’t know for sure til we get further along in the process. We don’t collect the funds til after the campaign is finished, but we may be able to get the ball rolling with the factory a little sooner.

I want to be clear though, given both the inherent complexity of the manufacturing process, and unpredictability with the covid situation, I think any time savings from hitting the goal quickly will still be less than the window of uncertainty for the timeline overall, and late 2020 is just our current best guess for when we’ll be able to start shipping Magnets.

Kickstarter is a a crowdfunding platform for supporting creative projects with an “all or nothing” model, meaning we have to hit a certain minimum goal to move forward. We’ve now hit our goal, so at the end of the campaign we’ll get the money from everyone’s pledges, and start making the Magnet!

We have more detail on the project page / FAQ section. You can check out the various tiers on the right side of the page, starting at a single Magnet for $49 + a handful of higher ones as well.

There’s some good general info about how Kickstarter works here too: https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005028514-What-are-the-basics-

2 Likes

How is the production looking for the Magnet? Can we still expect deliveries somewhere around December? :slightly_smiling_face: I understand it’s hard to estimate or predict anything due to the Corona situation, but I think a status update would be good to keep everybody on track.

P.S. I saw someone posted this on the Kickstarter comment section a week ago, but the comment is still unanswered there, so I thought I’d ask the same thing here.

1 Like

Just realized today that I’ll be able to use zoom’s screen mirroring feature to switch over to the phone in the magnet and share that view in online lessons. Very cool.

1 Like

Cool idea! :slightly_smiling_face: If you have students in person you could also share the screen to a TV or a display hooked up with a Chromecast for a better view for the student!

Can we get an update on the status of the Magnet production? Are we still on track for shipping in 2020? @Troy @Brendan

Hi @CEL, last time I checked with @Troy things were on track, but I can ask him for an update later today when the sun is up on that side of the Atlantic :slight_smile: