The Volcano seminar and Yngwie style

Hi Guys
I Mainly joined the CTC crew after discovering the Gypsy technique which lead me to The whole USX , Downward pick slanting , which im fascinated in now.

After 35 years of playing
I have been trying to completely change my picking style
Coming from the Vinnie Moore, Al Di Meola school . I was board with , I lost that fire and my playing has suffered for several years

After going through the Volcano seminar , Im thirsty for more ideas in this style and Im keen in getting my playing back to a higher level .
So I would like to thank Troy and the gang .
And being a child of the 80’s the Videos crack me up …Spending time in Australia , Europe, Canada and the USA , funny how the stories and scenarios are universal !

I’ll get to the point …LOL
does anyone know if there is any more seminars or lessons in the Yngwie Malmsteen style ?
Thanks

1 Like

Have you gone through the Cascade seminar? It’ll utilise the same usx mechanics.

Yeah I have , it is fantastic .
I have been coming up with my own patterns and variations of existing licks and scale ideas .
It has taken longer than I thought it would to get used to , but Im getting there .

At gigs and band rehearsals , I keep going back to my old style which I dont practice at all any more , so it feels a bit weird when Im soloing …
Gotta keep pushing through until it becomes natural

How far did you get with the gypsy technique? Is your half rest stroke fast?

haha don’t be ashamed mine is awfully slow. :frowning:

I didnt get too far as some of the techniques like the "Double Downs " I thought were not that necessary though I could get some speed using a flicked wrist bounce after some adjustments to my technique

I thought descending ecomomy picking or the Malmsteen (Down , Up , pull off ) felt more easier and logical , to me any way

I started looking more into George Benson ,Bireli Lagrene ,Stochelo Rosenberg and other jazz guys (technique more so than music style)

My thought process was “How do acoustic and clean players get great volume attack and tone”
As Im a very light picker and felt a bit incomplete as a player ,
Meaning if my sound wasnt right or guitar was not set up how I liked . I was a completely different player
I have friends that can pick up a rusty high action ,heavy stringed ,pawn shop guitar and rip out Malmsteen licks or great Jazz and country licks .
Then hand the guitar to me and Im …like ahh “Did someone say KFC ?” lets go and eat…

I think Troy had a clip called 'Bulletproof Picking"
Thats what Im aiming for … to be able to rip on any guitar any time

If you are having difficulty with your technique, I’d suggest filming your playing and posting on the technique critique section. I’ll attach filming instructions to this.

There are plenty of eagle eyed members here who will be able to help!
It’s often recommended for you to also film your fastest tremolo, without thinking too much about how you do it, just one string as fast as you can!

Did you learn any songs with solos all the way through?

Did you try to use proper technique or alter?

I did this at first, but I told myself you know what I am going to give it a try, 6 months later, and I can say I am not near as fast as Stochelo, however my speed did get fairly quick. And I know how to get it faster. I love double downs, rest, and half rest stroke. It just feels so good once you take the time to develop it. It can be very tedious though, and you have to be in a stress free environment to go back to the basics of playing every note properly.

I think there’s a LOT of fertile ground here, to be honest. Once you figure out how your picking technique works, working out patterns that you SHOULD be able to do based on your techniques, and building licks around those mechanics, can give you a lot of cool ideas.

I tend to default to escaped downstokes, so for example I’ve tended to do a lot with the down-up-down - change - up-down-up, down-up-down - change - motif of the Gilbert 6s pattern, but not doing it as a straight position run like in technical difficulties; shifting positions rather than just repeating, for example, or - while this doesn’t work as well down the neck - applying it to pentatonic shapes can be fun too.

Sounds like you have some great friends. Maybe just pry a little more into how they approach learning things, and to have them show you what and how they learn licks if they are able to burn licks on high action guitars. I take it one of the friends is a gypsy jazz player? If so you need to become close friends with him. He will show you the light. :laughing:

LOL I think they just play more on acoustic guitars with high action
Then every other guitar seem quite easy
There not Jazz guys , just guys who have only played guitar for a living and never done anything else , teaching , touring and gigging 4 to 5 days a week keeps your chops on point

As for speed .
I never had a problem as I was playing Al Di Meola and Paul Gilbert licks nearly 30 years ago even after only a year or two of playing .
I just got lazy any never really practiced properly for over 10 years
I dont even listen to many guitar players any more , I think that has effected my playing and interest as well

I was looking for inspiration and found it here !

The DPS USX thing has got me inspired again , which Im very happy with

As I was an Upward pick slant player with a lot of inside picking ,using the “Scalpel” style with the thumb and index finger moving doing the work , with little wrist
the Paul Gilbert descending licks (6’s) quite easy and natural .

I just tried to play that way just now , and wow I cant do it any more !

But Im not too concerned .
As the Malmsteen style has some advantages , Im using more wrist while descending and getting a louder attack and volume

Regards

1 Like

Here are a few licks I posted on the site a while backthat work with the “Yngwie” technique. One (the first) is actually a lick he plays a lot. Just hit the down arrow and the lick will display and you won’t have to navigate to the original thread.

2 Likes

All great info guys
Back to my question
Does anyone know if there is any more seminars or lessons in the Yngwie Malmsteen style ?

Yes… several

Troy has an excellent seminar with Joe Stump that I highly recommend.
Plus both of Joes Books and videos are great.

Chris Brooks has the Neo Classical Speed Strategies for guitar book
along with his Yng-Way video lessons. Plus excellent books on sweep picking.

Cesario Filho has an excellent Neo Classical Licks pack… great stuff.

Plus… Michael Romeo’s Young Guitar lesson “Guitar Chapter”

Cant forget Yngwies’ REH video lesson!

Tony Macalpine has video instruction.

Vinnie Moore has 2 great instructional videos

4 Likes

Thanks But I have seen or am familiar with all those mentioned .

The reason Im asking is Im not sure if I will keep my membership
As Im only looking for information and ideas in the Yngwie style , all the other styles I have played for many years and Im familiar with .

oh… the yngwie style… lol! why didn’t you say so?

you want this guy

yngwie malmsteen, I AM A Viking guitar cover - YouTube