Tony Rice picking technique

I wonder if anyone has insights into Tony Rice’s picking technique? At about the 1:00 mark there is at least a focus on his picking hand. I assumed he would be all USX and rest strokes, but he sounds more dynamic than than using one system here…

1 Like

Hey! I have no special insights on Tony’s technique but a quick forum search does bring up a couple things that may be of interest: https://forum.troygrady.com/search?q=tony%20rice

Here’s a discussion of his crosspicking rolls (looking at this same video actually!):

And a transcription here:

And from what Troy mentioned here, sounds like yes, he’s got a mix of several techniques!

1 Like

I was able to get that church street blues up to tempo at maybe a B grade level with the technique help from here/Troy and Andy Wood. I didn’t think that was going to be possible when I transcribed it!

1 Like

Cool, thanks. I didn’t get those hits when I used the search function…this is helpful. After watching the Molly Tuttle interview I started digging into bluesgrass and came across Tony Rice…which is way left field for me

1 Like

No problem! Yeah the forum search is its own thing, completely separate from search on the platform (which will turn up videos and other website pages). But at this point we’ve got thousands of topics / posts and a forum search for well-known players or technical terms usually yields at least a couple relevant results!

1 Like