Unbelievable Anton Oparin!

Currently that’s in our crosspicking workshop here:

https://troygrady.com/channels/talking-the-code/crosspicking-with-the-wrist/

At some point soon we’ll be making more chapterized tutorial material with these concepts as well.

2 Likes

Is it just me or is he using a very thin pick?
Like .50 or so ? (Just because of the scratchy picking sound)

I realy do not know… Would like to know also.

Some more madness from Anton starting at about 1.40

The accuracy and speed on this complex Paganini stuff is out of this world!
Some of those lefthand fingerings are just…pffff!!!

Here is a slow version:

3 Likes

What model Ibanez is he playing?

1 Like

No matter how many times I watched the videos about this when I was a subscriber, I could not understand what these clock analogies are :slightly_frowning_face: Petrucci, Anton Oparin, Andy Wood - looking at those guys what they are capable of doing with their wrist picking makes me believe that’s those lines are probably impossible using my elbow technique. I’ve also seen an old instructional video from Kiko Loureiro where he was doing some similar insane string skipping stuff.

It is an Ibanez SA120. I have one - the exact same model. It is not the most expensive guitar around - but it is unbelievable for shred! The neck is amazing and the fret height is medium (not jumbo). It definitely has something that lends itself to this type of playing. I also think the lack of binding that you find on the Prestige models also helps. Anyway, check them out if you get a chance!

There is a lot going on in that video with Anton - wrist, thumb movement and so on. I think you can learn it if you want to! Why not? You have the talent and drive. I don’t think you need to just be a elbow player. Look at Troy - he plays lots of picking styles. Yngwie uses elbow as well as his other techniques. There’s nothing wrong of course with just having one main style of picking - but you don’t have to! Particularly if you have mastered the current one - which I would argue you have.

2 Likes

First I wanted to master picking from the elbow but I’m really stuck above 180+ tempos :slight_smile:

Never checked these out but would be tight to learn some of it! I’ll try to see what I can pick up from the slower clips (unless @JBakerman did his thing somewhere for these already…).

1 Like

I have been digging Anton pretty hard for the past couple months.

What I love about him:

He seems like a fun guy. Obviously a MONSTER player. I love the hard attack he gets, and though we talk about this a lot on here that no one “can just play anything”…I think he actually can lol

What I don’t love:
He seems to have this inflexible “this is the only way” thing going on. That always bugged me about Al Di. Granted, I don’t fully understand Anton’s system, and the way he comes across in his hard stance is more enjoyable to me than how Al does. That’s probably just Anton’s charming personality though lol! I’ve never paid for his material, only watched his free stuff. From what I understand though, he has a “proprietary” method of switching strings. He won’t let his students discuss it. I respect that, truly. And maybe to play exactly like he plays, you have to do everything exactly like he says.

I like Troy’s approach much better. Find out all the options for how you can move the pick, figure out what you’re naturally best at and the implications of that motion, and work from there. There are plenty of players that would love to just sound like Eric Johnson (or insert the name of some other great player who isn’t a multi escape or DBX expert). It’s definitely possible to play like these other players do, outside of the way Anton plays and the technique choices he’s made.

Again, all that’s to say I have the utmost respect for Anton’s playing and even his “product” and how he wants to protect it.

2 Likes

Yes, i’m with you on this.
The thing is that everyone has different physics and therefore you will have to find out what works best for you.

On the other hand, Anton seems to be more into, and aware off all the details of muscle movement, arm/hand placement, pick hold, etc…then any player i know off.
And with his method it realy seems there are no limitations whatsoever.

1 Like

I’m really curious of players who actually learnt with his method to see whether it works for others.

I can’t think of any either lol! Even though he prefers not to, he does sweep sometimes. So, if you wanted to do some economy picking from within his posture, that seems easily possible. The big attention grabber (at least for me) is the killer 1nps stuff. And of course he alt picks scalar stuff like a beast. So in terms of picking…what’s left??? It does seem like you can do “anything” in that system.

I found this, which was interesting:

The guy namedrops Troy and though he pays him high compliments UNFORTUNATELY he says he didn’t think Troy had some platform where you get told exactly what to play. He mentions not checking out Troy’s paid stuff, which we all know is SO awesome. He wants Troy’s site to be something it isn’t. But he gives neat details on what he learned from Anton, without talking about the big string switching secrets, which may or may not be all that different from what Troy teaches us lol! Which is of course what I’m curious about :slight_smile:

Not following this. What do you mean “not checking out” our stuff? Do you mean he didn’t, or he advises not to?

More generally, everyone who has watched the Primer knows how mixed escape wrist technique works at this point. There are no big mysteries lurking out there that we don’t yet know about:

Even non-subscribers can read about various approaches for this:

…and:

Just from scanning forum threads as they arise, it’s clear that players like you and @Pepepicks66 know how these things work. The doing of it is the algorithm we’ve already outlined many times: assemble large variety of musical material with varied picking patterns, go fast to find motion efficiency, slow down slightly to work on accuracy. Rinse repeat. This is a long-tail type of process but there are no mysteries.

2 Likes

Sorry I wrote that too quickly. He did not in any way shame your platform or say people should pass on it. He had watched your free stuff and never pursued your paid stuff. I think he was looking for an exercise regime.

1 Like

I don’t like the term “exercises” because all the baggage it carries with it about gym-like repetition, which isn’t really a good analogy for learning to stick the landing on the 720 — a thing that, by definition, can’t be repeated 1000 times until you actually know how to do it.

But there is no question that to get stuff right, you need try many times. And it helps to have a wide variety of stuff to play while you do that. The site has truckloads of stuff on it right now from all the interviews but it’s up to you to choose stuff you like. But we will eventually get to the point of having a more directed idea of things to try. We’re just a little preoccupied right now building out some awesome new web site features. Hopefully we can get back to the instructional stuff soon once that stuff is up and running.

2 Likes

Just to clarify on my end: I’m interested in learning the pieces he’s playing, I wasn’t even aware he was a teacher or had a “system” until @joebegly pointed it out. I am not interested in learning his specific way of playing, as @Troy pointed out, “there are no mysteries” there.

2 Likes