Unbelievable Anton Oparin!

Somewhere in the video he was praising him for being the only one. I know this to be dead wrong apparently he hasnt seen Cesario Filhos 10 solos off hotmart sparkle app, his modern neoclassical lesson pack. Just imagine Yngwie showing his solos very slowly except it still has flow, everything is insanely accurate rhythmical flow wise. Basically like slowed down with software, but it is actually played slow. Cesario knows much more than this other guy. And I mean everything is slow, and its nuts like, bends, whammy bar, vibrato, pickup switching, its insane how accurate Cesario plays slow, to me it is almost more impressive. But it shows me how much he practiced Yngwies songs. I mean heck he probably plays through every cd each day. He is a master! I would rather take lessons from Cesario, because i have witnessed him covering about 6 of Yngwies albums livestreamed on youtube. I mean who else has done this feat? :smile:

But most of Cesarios lessons off his YouTube membership side he shows its very slow.

Heck even Christiaan Van Hemert shows his stuff slow, and has many videos on mechanics of gypsy picking as well on his YouTube channel.

I don’t know if you saw this but Anton does have a small improv piece (w/tab) available on youtube. It’s pretty cool…

2 Likes

I think his point was more on mechanics. We know (let’s use Yngwie) that great players often play way differently when they play slow as opposed to fast. Part of this is most great players don’t even understand their own mechanics. The claim of the guy in the video I linked was that Anton does understand his mechanics, so he shows you how to do the proper technique slowly.

Again, this claim sort of interests me because plenty motions are really difficult to perform slowly. Maybe I’m reading into things too much. But either way, wanting to study with someone is totally personal preference. Someone who likes Yngwie would rather study with Cesario. Someone who likes Paul Gilbert would probably rather study with Anton.

I get that but for this guy to claim he is the only “virtuoso” that knows is absurd. These are the claims that make one appear like a snake oil salesman.

I also talk about Christiaan not just Cesario. These two guys imo have much more live experience imo. And they have an absurd amount of teaching material, not behind a paywall.

And we know that Christiaan, also violinist, has played with Stochelo live, as well as they both worked on the academy material. So he for sure is one of the better guys to know more about the actual technique that provides very in depth knowledge for free. High level material.

This is the problem with all of the guitar material out there it is just haphazardly spun together. Beyond cracking the code, and some of the gypsy jazz resources, alot of it is snakeoil paywall money grab. So you just got to be careful what you buy into.

Cesario also has or did have videos of various techniques he has to switch through depending on the picking technique required for the phrasing from single string line fragments/runs into the string crossing ascending and descending phrased sections. But you kind of have to follow him, and keep up with his YouTube presence, maybe even follow him on instagram as well.

Anton Oparin gives me some real Tom Hess vibes. He’s obviously a good player, but has a very my-way-or-the-highway approach, which gets kind of… culty.

2 Likes

Do you have some links of Cesario playing one note per string alternate picking and big string skipping alternate picking? What I’ve found sofar is only scale stuff and sweep picking.

I still have to find another player who can do the crazy big string skipping (even from low to high E string) alternate picking stuff Anton does at those crazy speeds.

1 Like

Kiko Loureiro can do that.

Never see him doing it.
I mean one note per string lines like in the those Paganini Caprice stuff.

Like this one:

If he does this he will utilize middle finger plucks, you have to really slow the video down to catch it, for efficiency, like Max Ostro. No point in trying to travel around a string, when the fastest path is to pluck.

Most of the time you can slow down his stuff on YouTube to analyze it.

I think it really depends on the speed how Cesario would approach it. If it is fast, and as long as it isnt the next string the upstroke takes place on, he will utilize the pluck method.

1 Like

But it’s nowhere near as “elite” and “virtuoso” as Mr Oparin describes himself.

1 Like

I’ve dealt with instructors who make similar absolute claims. I learnt the hard way that although that might work for some, it doesn’t work for everyone. I steer well clear of anyone who makes such claims.

1 Like

Of course with plucking those big string skips are much easier to do. But, this platform is all about picking technique.
Pick/pluck combination will give you a different sound and volume everytime you pluck a string. If that’s what you want it’s of course a good way to go. But to achieve complete evenness in sound and volume, picking every note is the best way to go.

So, my statement stays: I have not seen any other player do those big one note per string string skipping lines at those speeds with alternate picking as Anton does.

I am still not sure about that…

Although everyone has somewhat different physics I think learning the best basic technique (like Anton’s) is for everyone. After having that down you can taylor things to your own by making some adjustments.
But i also believe you have to learn it at a young age to become as good as Anton.

At the end of the day though if you chop out the exact audio blip of both Anton and Cesario/Max in a daw. I can almost 90% be sure you wont be able to tell the difference of either. Sure if you slow it down maybe perhaps.

I disagree, based on the many interviews here and the many players here and , well everywhere, who reach virtuoso levels with different ways of picking.

To me, the idea of one way suiting everyone, sounds like garbage. Usually coming from the type of “instructor” who is so arrogant, they make outrageous claims about one secret method of right hand technique they have come up with that will work for everyone.

Hmm… so why is it that people can play equally well with very different picking techniques?

I agree that with different techniques you can achieve certain levels of playing.
But, Anton is able to play anything with the pick. Superfast single note scaler lines, fast one note per string stuff, big string skipping lines, etc, etc….all with picking every note; and of course he also can pluck.p and sweep like the best.
There seems to be no limitations whatsoever with his way of picking, but then again, his lefthand also is crazy good!
So probably if you would be able to achieve his level of picking, you still wouldn’t be able to play some of his stuff because of his unbelievable lefthand technique…

I don’t know…. If i was younger i probably would pay for his course to try it out.

I agree why would you need to hide it behind some paywall. If it was so awesome wouldnt it make sense to just share it with the world, this would increase your channels views by a large margin. Why hide it? Even Troy gives away a large portion of the, how, free of charge. The guy is a snake oil salesman, and if not well his approach makes it appear that way to people who know the scheme.

Yes, it’s the same tactic used by a few others, one has already been named in this thread and he is a total con artist who constantly upsells etc etc.

Can he play the gypsy jazz phrasing, with proper technique? :smiley:

For sure he could if he wanted.