Using Cracking the Code as an experiment

Hello, everyone! I am about to do one of the most embarrassing things I have done in my life (this will be a little long, so I apologize in advance).

A confession: I am a HORRIBLE electric guitar player. No… Let me take that back. I’m not even a guitar player to begin with. Funny thing is, this doesn’t mean that I’m a zero when it comes to music. Quite the opposite. I graduated from a music school and have worked in music professionally for almost 15 years. But not on guitar. I am a ZERO on guitar.

MANY years ago, some friends in my block wanted to put a band together, but they didn’t have anyone to play the bass. Not wanting to miss on the opportunity, I volunteered to be the bass player, even though I didn’t know what a bass was. I also didn’t know that my dad happened to play some bass, so by my request he gave me my first lesson, after which I was immediately hooked. I practiced day and night, sometimes until the break of dawn, and after a while I became pretty good at it. (Alas, the band never happened because I was the only one who dedicated himself to learning and practicing.)

Then, one day a friend of mine stopped by with and handed me 2 cassette tapes, swearing that this was like nothing I had heard of. One tape had a slip with what looked like the Silver Surfer from Marvel comics, and said “Surfing with The Alien”. The other didn’t have a cover. It was a TDK tape with something handwritten on the label: “Yngwie – Rising Force”. I had never heard of either. Then I hit play… and it was all over for me.

Indeed, it was like nothing I had heard of and couldn’t get enough of it. All day I would listen to nothing else. By what seemed like a glorious coincidence, at that same time, my grandmother showed up at home with a cheap electric guitar that didn’t have strings. It was fine, because I didn’t know how to play a guitar anyway, so I would just sit down with the guitar on my lap, play the tapes, and pretend I was flying through the fretboard.

I was so fascinated by these guitar players that as soon as I got some money to buy strings I took off on a journey to try to be able to play like them. Mind you, I had never played guitar before except during daydreaming sessions on the neck with no strings. Considering I didn’t even have the basics of guitar down, you can imagine just how far that journey took me. For some odd, delusional reason, I was under the impression that if I focused on trying to learn difficult stuff, the easy stuff would take care of itself. And since I had become good at playing the bass, what else could happen than getting good at playing any other stringed instrument?

I don’t have to go into details. The faulty logic behind my effort lead to consistent monumental failures. My playing was embarrassing at best. Jamming opportunities provided everyone (except for myself) with enough laughs due to my pathetic struggle to produce a decent sounding line. Of course, eventually the guitar ended up buried like junk inside the closet and I moved on absolutely convinced that I didn’t have the talent required to play the guitar and that Yngwie and Satriani were indeed aliens that regular beings like myself were not capable of surfing with.

In time, I was ok with it because after all, I still had my first love with me: the bass. This makes it sound like a confirmation of the old-clichéd saying that goes, “bassists are just frustrated guitar players”. While I will be the first to admit that the joke is pretty funny, the truth is that after being with the bass for so long, I had learned to understand and appreciate it as a unique instrument that needed its own approach and philosophy. Its thundering, deep timbre and punch gave it the feeling of a portable, pluggable Mjolnir, and I still intended to hammer the world with it.

I went to music school and focused on becoming the best I could be, studying everything from jazz, funk, Brazilian and Latin music, to blues, rock and fusion. I was not a flashy player like Billy Sheehan or Victor Wooten, but I was finally a professional bassist, and drummers and singers were more than happy with the way I grooved. I put out an album, got radio airplay, sang and played in front of thousands… heck, even my favorite drummer in the whole wide world, Vinnie Colaiuta, recorded 2 of my songs!

Recently, 2 things happened… First, I came to realize what my problem with the guitar many years ago was. If I was to put it in math terms, I was trying to solve rational polynomial functions when I didn’t even know how to add 2 + 2. What I mean is, I didn’t tend to the essentials of learning to play guitar and, yet, I wanted to play things that take years of focused and dedicated practice. I hadn’t earned my wings, yet I wanted to fly with the best.

Second… I found Cracking the Code… and saw that you didn’t need to be an alien to surf with the best IF you have a strategic way to work around the mechanical problems that this music presents you with.

So, here’s the experiment, or rather the question I will work on through Cracking the Code: “CAN A 40+ YEAR OLD GUY WHO ABSOLUTELY SUCKS ON GUITAR WORK HIS WAY UP TO PLAY MUSIC LIKE THAT OF YNGWIE?”

I know I have discipline on my side. Through sheer dedication I have taught myself 2 things that I thought were impossible for me: advanced mathematics and Japanese language. I have excelled in both at a very high level simply by putting in the time. (That’s another story.) The only other thing that remains in the “impossible” realm is guitar.

Now, due to time limitations, starting last week I get up very early in the morning and dedicate at the very least one hour each day, religiously. I organized a practice routine that includes the following, distributed through all 7 days:

• Scales (purely scale (mode) knowledge and familiarity with the fretboard, possibilities of a single scale across the entire neck)
  • Chords (chord shapes, inversions, and progressions, mostly outside of open position, often from a song)
  • Exercises (anything pertaining to technique, such as picking, fretting, tapping, etc. Cracking the Code exercises fall here.)
  • Licks (music passages and ideas within a musical, non-academic context)
  • Reading (reading of melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic material, such as the Real Book, Berklee reading methods or artist songbooks)
  • Ear Training (identifying and playing intervals and chord progressions, and picking up songs by ear)
  • Improv (application of everything over a chord progression (jam tracks) with a strong emphasis on blues.)
  • Songs (learning 100 songs I chose in order of difficulty that eventually take me to the experiment goal)
  • Pandora box (practicing new material from random sources on any category)

My plan is to approach learning the guitar the same way I approached learning and mastering mathematics: by learning the basics slowly but well, without being “too proud” to learn something that looks “too easy”. Just as math books contain hundreds of exercises for you to work on, there are many techniques, scales, chords and patterns that need to be worked on to lay a solid foundation. And just as exercises include many word problems for you to see the theory in real life, rock guitar history has thousands of songs that I can learn to “see” the theory in action.

My goal is not to become an all-around guitar professional. I just want to become a good rock guitar player. I am more than happy to keep working professionally with the bass. And although I’ve lived long enough to be aware that in the long run plans change a lot, my final objective, the definitive milestone, will be to be able to play the songs that I fantasized about on the stringless guitar. Specifically, I have chosen 4 songs: “Surfing With the Alien” and “Crushing Day” by Joe Satriani, and “Trilogy Suite Op. 5” and “Far Beyond the Sun” by Yngwie Malmsteen. I know that for some of you accomplished players these songs do not present with much of a challenge, but for somebody at my level of utter inexperience, they are the equivalent of climbing Mt. Everest on a pogo stick.

As I’ve said, I don’t want to depend on the techniques I have learned on the bass itself. I will approach the guitar as if I was a complete beginner, and even though there are things that I am capable of doing, like fretting or strumming, I will go through the complete process of practicing the technique fundamentals as if I didn’t know these things yet. What I WILL take advantage of, however, is the good sense of time and feel, and the knowledge of melody and harmony that I have developed through my years as a performing musician and composer.

I’m sure my embarrassing videos will soon find their way here for your priceless input. Any advice, any encouragement, any piece of wisdom, experience or ideas will be appreciated more than I could say.

If you made it this far, I’m sorry for the super long post… and THANK YOU!

9 Likes

I’m excited to see your progress!

1 Like

Thanks, my friend! This will take time, but I’m willing to go the distance. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! I wish you good luck! I am somehow understand you. I too want to play something that is beyond my possibilities. Although I don’t like to practice… My approach is ‘to do nothing except having fun and wait if it would bring some results’ ))

1 Like

Awesome post, thanks for sharing! And this is a a great analogy :slight_smile:

I saw a YouTube video recently demonstrating some “basics” of flamenco guitar, and a lot of commenters were like “aaahh! if this is basic I’m throwing away my guitar!” and the guy who made the video replied something to the effect of “I mean these things are basic as in essential, fundamental techniques; that does not necessarily mean they’re easy; it can take a long time do learn to do so-called ‘simple’ things at an expert level…”

It sounds like you have an ambitious but very concrete / detailed learning roadmap, and experience meeting similarly ambitious learning goals, with math and Japanese. This seems like a helpful approach:

I’d love to hear a bit more about any other takeaways (general or specific) from your experience with math and language learning that you suspect might translate to musical learning. I know a lot of people here are interested in practical tips / strategies for learning and practice, and I think it can be fruitful to compare that sort of thing across disciplines.

Look forward to further updates!

3 Likes

@ASTN I understand the aversion to practicing, and I think that indeed it has a lot to do with the fact that it is a plain and evident reminder of the fact that you suck in that which you happen to be practicing. We want to have fun and we want to do things, but practice openly tells you “NOT YET… because you haven’t put in the time”. Practice can feel like that annoying teacher saying “you gotta keep at it”, or that parent back in the day who would say “no, you can’t go out because you didn’t clean your room”. We want now. Practice says, “Not now; you got work to do.” There is not much fun in working over something that sounds bad, that you feel clumsy with, that doesn’t feel natural yet. That makes us want to avoid practice time. But if we accept the suckage and plow through the process without thinking too much about it, eventually it becomes a routine, and as you begin to improve thanks to practice, routine becomes fun. It’s like going to the gym. I used to train with my brother, who is like a real-life Hulk. To train with him you had to push yourself really hard. But the hardest part every day wasn’t even the workout; it was getting out of the house and into the gym. It was showing up. All sorts of excuses would always pop up: “I’m tired… I don’t feel like it… I threw up last time… I don’t feel motivated…” But I knew that if I showed up, everything else would take care of itself. So I would not think, I would just get into the car and go, so that by the time I was aware of it, I was already at the gym. That’s what I’m trying to do with the guitar: I just show up. Since I have a program prepared I don’t have to think about it. I just sit down and go. And I really hope that as I get better at it, this will feed my motivation to practice more and look at it as fun instead of work.

2 Likes

ABSOLUTELY!!!

In fact, sometimes when we take an honest look at ourselves (especially when we hear recordings of things we play) we may find that some things we think we do easily need a lot of work. For example, “Oh, picking is easy”. “Yeah, but have you heard how much noise you are making on the other strings while you pick away?” “Oh, scales are boring.” “Yeah, but have you noticed how you use the same pattern over and over or that you are playing that scale in the same position every time?” “Pbfff… that song is super easy…” “Yeah, but have you considered that you are playing the right notes of the song but not the right feel, or with a tight tempo, or that your sound is not consistent with the way the song was written?”

The biggest takeaway from my experience with math (which I applied to Japanese) was that everything can be reduced to a short number of simple essentials. No matter how difficult, how advanced or how complicated math can seem, whether it is multidimensional integration or advanced differential equations, it all comes down to just 4 things: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. That’s it. That’s all that math is. Show me any math problem at any level and it will always come down to those 4. The rest is just finding out what the order of operations is and following it. It took me a long time to realize something so obvious, because I had this idea in my head that math was intrinsically hard.

In the ample realm of guitar technique it seems obvious (and perhaps dumb to some) that it all can be reduced to 2 things: what happens on the fretboard (left hand) and what happens on the plucking area (right hand). If these can be worked on with focused attention, slowly, consistently and with honesty… if this foundation is built correctly, the rest is just a matter of letting artistry and creativity flourish. This is why everyday I try to focus slowly on those, taking the chance to fix mistakes as soon as I notice them. It is coming much, much slower than I would like, but hey… what can you do but keep moving forward. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply! I would love to hear from your experiences and share ideas back and forth!

2 Likes

Yep, I guess you are right. However I’m too lazy to do this kind of things ((
It’s not an aversion. I used to practice piano a lot when I was a kid, before I got my hand damaged in an accident. Then they kicked me out of musical school, and now I don’t really have any intentions to do something else than just making fun. In fact it’s hard for me to play guitar either… well, anyway

Great post montecristo, very helpful and interesting !

It seems that I have the same problem , I suck at guitar… \o/ (we all do right ? :p) Never the less, Brendan raised a good point :

A clear and concrete learning roadmap ! I think this is essential. So many times, I’ve picked up my guitar and wondered “hmm so what next, what do I play ? should i practise scale or just having fun with rocksmith ?”
So here is my question : Does such a roadmap already exist somewhere ? If not, why dont we build one ? If you want to build a car, you need to drew it first, then design it and think of every single details before starting to build it right ? I think the same approch can apply to guitar no ?

If you want to be as cool as troy on your fretboard, you must learn a bunch of things, scales, how to play fast, some picking technics, maybe how to shred, learn how to sweep etc etc… But how and where to start ? what should I first learn, first practice ?

Please enlight me :slight_smile:

1 Like